Some men’s tracksters shine

Some men’s tracksters shine

By Adam Hensley

The Iowa men’s track and field team competed in two meets over the weekend: the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas, and the Iowa State Classic in Ames.

A select group went to Arkansas to compete against several nationally ranked teams.

All-American Aaron Mallett made it to the finals in the 60-meter hurdles, where he finished second behind Dondre Echols of South Carolina (7.69). Mallett ran a time of 7.73 in that round.

“Aaron didn’t have his greatest races,” Iowa Director of Track and Field Joey Woody said in a release. “Even when he doesn’t have his best race, he’s still one of the best in the country, and he beat out the best hurdlers in the Big Ten today as well. Aaron was slow on his reaction to the gun, but he was still able to maintain his composure and come back to get runner-up to a great athlete.”

Echols’ time tied for first in the nation.

Also in Fayetteville, Avery Meyers and Christian Brissett performed well. Meyers threw for 57-7.25 in the shot put, placing eighth. Brissett finished 22nd in the 200 meters but tied his personal best time of 21.72.

At the Iowa State Classic, Iowa’s middle-distance crew shone.

The trio of Carter Lilly, Will Teubel, and Pavlo Hutsalyuk all delivered top times for the Hawkeyes.

Lilly took off in the 800 meters, finishing in the best time of his career (1:49.09). That time ranks second in school history and also puts him at sixth in the Big Ten this season. Lilly finished seventh at the meet.

“Carter is ready to run 1:48 and has put himself into a position to compete for a Big Ten championship,” Woody said in a release.

Teubel finished 22nd in the 800 but ran his season best time of 1:50.48.

Hutsalyuk followed at 27th, coming in at 1:50.88. It was the freshman’s best time in his career and was also good for eighth all-time at Iowa.

“That whole group — Carter, Will, Pavlo, and [sophomore] Ryan Dorman — has been training at an extremely high level and are capable of running in the 1:48-range,” Woody said in a release. “[Event coach] Jason Wakenight has done a tremendous job of getting them ready and performing at a high level. It’s going to be exciting these next couple of weeks as we put some things together with those guys. The best thing about that group is that they’re competitors; they will perform in a fast-race setting or a slow race.”

Two Hawkeyes finished in the top 16 in the 400 meters.

Jared Ganschow finished 13th, running a season-best 48.26. Brendan Thompson was close behind at 16th with a career best 48.46.

The 1,600-meter relay group of Mitch Wolff, DeJuan Frye, Thompson, and Mar’yea Harris placed second at Ames, finishing in 3:11.33.

Next, the Hawkeyes will travel to South Bend, Indiana, for the second time this season for the Alex Wilson Invitational on Feb. 20.