Hawkeyes put in solid performances

By Connor Sindberg

The Iowa women’s track and field team had a productive weekend as it split competitors at the Tyson Invitational and Iowa State Classic. No team scores were totaled, but the women had solid performances across the board.

At the Tyson Invitational, senior MonTayla Holder, juniors Elexis Guster and Alexis Hernandez, and freshman Briana Guillory formed the fastest 1,600-meter relay in Hawkeye track and field history. Their time of 3:36.47 marks the second school record to fall this season.

Iowa Director of Track and Field Joey Woody believes the squad can and will improve going forward.

“If we take each of their personal bests, I think we can run 3:34,” Woody said in a release. “It’s just a matter of doing it on the right day and doing it together. I thought it was a good overall effort, but they know they have a lot more to give and that they can improve quite a bit on this performance.”

At the Iowa State Classic, a pair of Hawkeyes finished with personal bests.

Taylor Chapman made it to the 60-meter finals to finish eighth with a college-best time of 7.61. The freshman also finished 15th in the 200 meters with a time of 24.99.

The freshmen continued to roll with Tria Seawater-Simmons posting a personal-best 38-6.75  in the triple jump for sixth place on Iowa’s all-time list.

In the 800 meter, Kaitlyn Nelson finished 28th with a time of 2:12.19. Mahnee Watts finished 34th with a time of 2:13.76.

In the mile, Tess Wilberding finished 24th with a time of 9:46.61, and teammate Andrea Shine finished 43rd with a time of 10:16.33.

The Hawkeyes will compete in their final meet before the Big Ten Championships. This week they will head to South Bend, Indiana, for the Alex Wilson Invitational on Feb. 20.