UI pushes LGBTQ safe zones

Photographer: Benson Kua

Conditions on campus for LGBTQ members have improved, but the search for safe places still continue.

The University of Iowa has led in some areas among schools across the nation when it comes to addressing the LGBTQ community, and one of those areas is the UI Safe Zone Project.

The program is sponsored by the Chief Diversity Office; it allows participants to be visible allies to LGBTQ members in an effort to create a more inclusive environment.

Kendra Malone, the UI Safe Zone Project coordinator, said she believes allies of the LGBTQ community have the ability to help improve issues.

“For those of us who don’t belong to a specific marginalized identity, so for people who identify as cis-gender or heterosexual, it’s important for them to realize they have a responsibility to make sure this campus is safe and inclusive for all people,” she said.

Given the history of oppressive treatment of LGBTQ members, Malone said, it is up to those who have privileges to work toward creating less oppressive spaces.

Malone said the Safe Zone Project is open to the entire UI community including students, faculty, staff, and residents.

She said a person could become an ally by participating in a two-phase workshop program. Through the program, participants will learn about LGBTQ terminology, what it means to be an active LGBTQ ally, and how to be supportive Malone said.

Phase one of the Safe Zone Project will be held on Feb. 23 in the IMU.

RELATED: Group aims to aid LGBTQ

“It’s important to remember throughout all of this that LGBTQ members are, at the end of the day, still people, and we should all work toward supporting each other,” Malone said.

In 2012, the UI became the first public university to include questions about sexual orientation and gender identity on its application.

More recently, the UI has also opened up a LGBTQ health clinic to aid members for their specific needs. The UI currently has a four out of five stars rating on Campuspride.org’s list of LGBTQ friendly schools.

Even though the UI has made huge steps toward a more inclusive campus, LGBTQ members still face issues regarding their identity, said Sean Finn, the president of UI Trans Alliance said.

Finn said he feels more awareness is needed.

“LGBTQ students face higher rates of mental illness and substance abuse. Thankfully, LGBTQ students face much less prejudice than they have in the past,” he said. “However, it is still important to increase awareness about LGBTQ identities and experiences in order to further reduce prejudice and micro-aggressions.”

Finn said he believes the UI has a lot of great resources on campus to further the progress of inclusion.

“We’re working to make sure the wonderful resources we do have are presented to, and easy to find, for LGBTQ students,” he said.

Nate Monson, the executive director at Iowa Safe Schools, said he believes it is necessary to have a visible network of support in the LGBTQ community.