Will Iowa men’s hoops snare a No. 1 NCAA seed?

University of Iowa men’s players celebrating at the Penn game at Carver-Haweye Arena on Friday, Nov. 23, 2013. Iowa beat Penn, 86-55. (The Daily Iowan/Tyler Finchum)

Yes

In the midst of one of their best seasons in decades, the Iowa men’s basketball team is on pace to land a No. 1 seed in the 2016 NCAA Tournament. Can the Hawks continue their torrid run through the Big Ten season and tournament, and grab one of four top seeds?

Yes, they will.

Looking at the Hawkeyes’ remaining schedule, there are a couple games that could perhaps present legitimate threats for 19-4 Iowa. Both of these come on the road — at Indiana on Thursday and the team’s season finale at Michigan on March 1.

However, Indiana hasn’t proven itself to be a legitimate Big Ten winner despite its 9-2 conference record. Assembly Hall in Bloomington is always a tough place to play, but expect the Hawks to take care of business. In the remaining seven games, Iowa has a decent shot at going 6-1 or 5-2.

The play of Jarrod Uthoff, Peter Jok, and Adam Woodbury is just too much to ignore at the moment. The three have put the team on their backs in recent games, and the Hawks have appeared nearly impossible to beat. Uthoff has returned to his normal self after a couple rough games, Jok is playing the best basketball of his career right now, and Woodbury is a rebounding machine at the moment.

If these three continue to play at the extremely high level that they currently are, look out — the Hawks have a legitimate shot at a No. 1 seed when March Madness rolls around.
— Jake Mosbach

No

Let’s rewind the tape to March 2015.

Iowa enters the Big Ten Tournament on a six-game winning streak and the third spot in conference standings. The Hawkeyes then proceed to lose their first game to Penn State, which did not even make the NCAA Tournament.

This season, it’s hard to say Iowa isn’t better than it was last year. That does not, however, change who the Hawks are. Perennially, the Hawkeyes crash in heartbreaking fashion. Their inability to finish key games for essentially all of time has been nearly unmatchable.

Mike Gesell is the point guard for this team. If there were ever a man who crumbled under pressure, Gesell is the guy.

In past seasons, Gesell has disheartened the Hawkeye Nation with nearly every trip to the free-throw line late in close games, and his turnovers in tight contests never cease.

Just this year, Gesell removed any hope Iowa had at defeating Maryland when he gave the ball up on back-to-back possessions late in the game, including a turnover that led immediately to a dagger two-handed jam by the Terrapins.

Apart from Gesell, Adam Woodbury, Peter Jok, and Jarrod Uthoff have all come to life this season but have failed to display consistency under pressure.

The Hawkeyes have by far the best chance of any Big Ten team at winning the regular-season title. They will, however, crumble in the conference tournament as they ensure the confirmation of the old saying, history repeats itself.

Without that solid Big Ten tourney run, Iowa has zero chance at landing a No. 1 seed for the NCAA Tournament.
— Mason Clarke