More than a pregnancy ban to stop stop Zika

Christopher Cervantes

Personal liberties have always been a constant source of pride, as well as a treasured right, in the United States. However, there have been times in our nation’s history in which we have sacrificed those liberties in the name of safety. In the heat of the moment, this can be perceived as the right thing to do. However, once hindsight kicks in, people are rarely as eye-to-eye as they previously were. And it looks like it might happen again soon.

Since April 2015, a large outbreak of the Zika virus has been spreading across South America at a rapid rate. It has been described as the most widespread outbreak of Zika and has moved to Central America and the Caribbean. In January, the World Health Organization stated that the virus would most likely spread throughout the Americas by the end of the year. Last week, it was made official that the virus had hit the United States.

The virus itself is a cruel experience to go through, though not for the reason people may think. While the infected may be subject to mild headaches, rash, fever, and joint pain, there is also a chance that there may be no symptoms. The true danger of the virus is the effect it has on the offspring of the infected

The virus has been linked with cases of newborn microcephaly, a neurodevelopmental disorder that is characterized by a diminished head circumference, diminished brain production, and a reduced life expectancy. The virus itself is spread via mosquito bites and (as recently discovered) sexual intercourse.
In an attempt to diminish the effects of Zika, specifically the potential threat of genetic microcephaly, the nation of El Salvador has advocated a ban on pregnancy until the year 2018. Realistically, the idea of banning conception for two years is impossible. Even now that the virus has entered the borders of the United States, no American citizen would ever agree to this.

Right?

There have been instances in the past where the citizens of the United States put their safety above personal rights. After the events of 9/11, a poll conducted by Fox News found that 71 percent of Americans agreed to forgo personal freedoms in order to ensure their safety. Granted, it led to more controversy down the road, but in the heat of the moment, it seemed like a good idea.

The question is, would our own nation go along with a pregnancy ban if it were proposed within our borders?

Yeah, that’s not happening.

The proposed ban is a rather shortsighted prevention. As it stands, there is no vaccine for Zika. And while the very nature of a virus is to be ever changing and adaptable, there are still other options being looked into.

Banning pregnancy would be, frankly, a waste of time for any country. The legislation process alone would be a nightmare. Instead of focusing on a single piece of the puzzle, we should be looking at the big picture.

It’s more productive than handing out extra-strength condoms, at least.