Studer: Stand up against racial hate

Around 60 students attended a “Rally Against Hate” on Dec. 11, 2015. (The Daily Iowan/Cindy Garcia)

Samuel Studer

A rally was held Monday in New York for a group of three black female students who were attacked by 10 to 12 white men and women. The students, who attend the State University of New York-Albany , stated that they were harassed on the bus early in the morning on Jan 30.

This harassment included racial slurs and physical assault. The women were taken to the hospital after the attack and treated for minor injuries, according to the Times Union. This exchange was caught on camera by the Capital District Transportation Authority and also on a bystander’s cell phone. This video corroborates the students’ claim.

These women stood up for who they are at the rally on Monday. According to CNN, one of the women said, “We are shocked, upset, but we will remain unbroken.” The campus police have started to interview suspects that are seen on the video, and 34 people of interest have been identified.

The women are not the only people to speak out on this horrific incident. After the attack, #DefendBlackGirlsUAlbany appeared on social media, showing that the community stands behind the women. The university president also released a statement saying, “There is no place for hate at the school.”

The state university has approximately 17,000 students, and 15 percent are African American.

The rally on Monday was intended to show the college’s support in promoting acceptance. There should be no tolerance in our society for racial prejudice. Everyone should be treated equally and not discriminated again because of skin color. We all have equal rights in the eyes of the law, and we should on a moral basis. The group of attackers should be punished for what happened; they had no reason to attack the women.

Police should be doing more to help stop this hate in our communities. Racial intolerance does nothing but hurt community members, and the problem is still a major issue in our society. Community members must take a stand in trying to stop these stereotypes; programs should be put into place that help teach a younger generation of Americans that it is not OK to look down on people who are different. Every time we step out of our residences, we must be aware of people different from ourselves. We live in society in which everyone has a different background, and we must be accepting.

It is time for change. There is no reason that black students should be attacked on a college campus. This incident also comes at a time where race relations are a major issue on college campuses. A recent example comes from the University of Missouri, at which student groups were able to get the president and chancellor to step down following racist incidents on campus.

I challenge you to take a simple step in trying to change the culture we live in. It does not have to be something huge. Even the smallest things can have the biggest impact. We cannot let racially charged hatred spread throughout our country. No more will I stand for this. What will you do?