Man pageant carries big event

Morale+captian+Clint+Donaldson+lip+syncs+Gangnam+Style+during+the+male+pageant+event+during+the+3rd+hour+of+the+22nd+Dance+Marathon+in+the+Iowa+Memorial+Union+on+Friday%2C+Feb.+5%2C+2016.+
Morale captian Clint Donaldson lip syncs ‘Gangnam Style’ during the male pageant event during the 3rd hour of the 22nd Dance Marathon in the Iowa Memorial Union on Friday, Feb. 5, 2016.

by Tom Ackerman

@Tom_AckermanDI

As the night grows later, entertainers at Dance Marathon look to boost the crowd’s energy.

Faced with a man pageant, a series of videos, and a song mashup performance, the crowd stayed in tune and awake with a wide range of sights in the main ballroom.

“It’s a good way to get people involved and distract us from our feet hurting,” said Alice Kolber, a University of Iowa student.

She said her favorite event so far has been the opening ceremony, but it is a positive aspect to see performers throughout the night.

“We feel the love from this community,” said a presenter who is the father of a cancer patient. “Medicine doesn’t take care of love, and that’s what Dance Marathon is doing.”

Children from various families also took the stage and spoke in the microphone, which amplified the crowd further to see the progress for families needing recovery.

Throughout the 24 hours, several dance groups have themes for costumes, too. University of Iowa students Amber Hoffman and Jenny Parker’s group wore pajamas for the hour to keep things fun, the pair said.

“Pajamas are important,” the two joked. “Comfort is key.” The two also have batman suits and onesies for later on in the event.

A mashup of various songs into a dance and then a “man pageant” also took the stage in the hour, giving those on the dance floor reason to cheer. Lip syncing “Gangnam Style,” stand up comedy, and musical acts were some of the entertainment in the contest.

“It’s something different,”  Allison Ebert, a first time dancer said. “I was pretty nervous because people hyped it up so much, but there’s so much do to do here.”

“I didn’t expect it to be this big,” she added. “I feel like I’m part of something bigger than myself for the first time in college,” and said she hopes to be a morale captain next year.

Coordinators hope to keep crowds awake with more events and entertainers to come as the hours wear on.