Trump: shock or joy?

Presidential+nominee+Donald+Trump+gives+a+speech+inside+Mississippi+Valley+Fairgrounds+in+Davenport+on+Saturday%2C+Dec.+5%2C+2015.+Trump+has+been+the+leader+in+the+polls+for+the+GOP+since+he+announced+his+candidacy.+
Presidential nominee Donald Trump gives a speech inside Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds in Davenport on Saturday, Dec. 5, 2015. Trump has been the leader in the polls for the GOP since he announced his candidacy.

Keith Reed
Many voters were shocked to hear that Donald Trump entered the presidential race for the Republican Party. I was one of them (granted, I do not care too much for politics, though I have finished my fair share of American politics classes). The many times I have heard his name mentioned in the news prior to this were about the real-estate mogul building one of his hotels or that his hair does not seem to be all his. Upon hearing that Trump was running for president, I thought it was a joke at first.

I’m be thankful that the Iowa caucus-attendees rejected the hopeful comedian-in-chief

From watching him on “The Apprentice,” it seemed as if he was a completely cold-hearted person. I appreciated him for his steel demeanor when it came to his business dealings, but as a president, I do not think that will fly with the general public. Many of his political views that seem to pervade the ears of everyone not attempting to listen are comical at best.

Whether it is that he wants to build a wall between Mexico and the United States or that he wants to deport all undocumented immigrants back to their home countries. These are outrageous proposals, because America was founded on the idea that it is the land of opportunity.

Also, America, technically, was not founded. It was in fact stolen from the Native Americans by Europeans and their descendents. If were are going to be this brazen about the idea of immigrants being in the United States, Trump himself has to leave the States, and I would have to leave as well. Trump’s roots cannot be traced back to the United States. This “stance” that he has on immigrants is laughable, because many of the people who he staffs in his hotels are immigrants or have immediate ties to immigrants.

Trump’s presidential campaign is a catalyst for his comedy career. No one in a right mind would offend so many different demographics and still expect to win the presidency. According to an article by Huffington Post, by 2045, the white population will become the minority and people of color will become the majority. The injustices that people of color face far outweigh the injustices that the white population experiences, yet Trump has insisted “political correctness” is ruining the country.

There are more Trump stances that would be laughable if they weren’t so dangerous. For example, he wants marriage to be traditional (meaning between a man and a woman), he is pro-life and wants to take money away from Planned Parenthood, and the list goes on from there. These programs and institutions have proved themselves valuable because, as a society, we have become more forward thinking and socially aware than past generations. A regression like this would set the general public of the United States back several decades.

But if Trump won the nomination, the reality would loudly creep up on us.