Disrepair blamed in WRAC house

The Women’s Resource and Action Center (WRAC) is shown on N. Madison Street on Tuesday, October 27, 2015. The WRAC House is being demolished and the problem will be moving. (The Daily Iowan/Courtney Hawkins)

By Gage Miskimen

The state Board of Regents and the University Iowa are to blame for the Women’s Action and Resource Center building’s fall into disrepair, one preservation official says.

The regents approved the demolition request for the former WRAC house — a baby blue house at the intersection of Market and Madison Streets — earlier this year.

But Alicia Trimble, the executive director of Friends of Historic Preservation, said the regents’ rationale is “invalid.” A memo from the board in October 2015 read, “The aged structure has reached the end of its useful life and has rotted wood framing, inadequate waterproofing and insulation, and a deteriorating masonry foundation.”

“Buildings don’t have a ‘useful life,’ ” she said. “However, you have to maintain buildings, and that building could’ve been maintained.”

The building served as the WRAC house for 40 years; it was built in 1923. The center is a feminist organization dedicated to creating equality, especially for women, by providing services on leadership, professional development, and advocacy, among others.

There are no current plans for the site on campus; officials have not set a date for the demolition.

Trimble said she thinks an issue with public entities such as the UI is how the maintenance is handled.

“It’s easier to not pay for something this year, but down the road, it will become more costly, and institutions struggle and put things off,” she said. 

Trimble said she definitely thinks the old house on Madison Street is worth maintaining.

“Give it away or move it somewhere else,” she said. “The university just doesn’t want to pay to maintain it.”

Ginalie Swaim, the Historic Preservation head of Iowa City, said old houses such as the one on Madison Street shouldn’t be torn down without a purpose.

“The hope is that yet another use can be found for such houses, or that they can be moved, or, at the very least, their history documented and the materials salvaged,” she said  “It’s always hard for staff and clients — and even the public — to say thanks and goodbye to houses that have served us well for decades. They don’t deserve the landfill.”

Trimble said while it is unfortunate the house will be torn down, the Friends of Historic Preservation is working with the university to salvage the reusable architectural features.

“I’m not saying all buildings should be saved,” she said. “But you should recycle the usable parts. I think removing what they can out of the old building is very important, and some features like old-growth lumber and handmade bricks can be used again. The quality and craftsmanship is a lot better in these old buildings.”

WRAC recently moved into the Bowman House, located at 230 N. Clinton St.

Though the old house won’t be saved, WRAC Director Linda Kroon said a piece of the old Madison Street house lives in the renovated Bowman House.

“We actually did take a piece from the old house with us,” she said. “We installed a stained-glass window into this new building from the old house.”