Faculty Council mulls initiatives

File+photo
File photo

The University of Iowa Faculty Council on Tuesday discussed nine strategic initiative recommendations to eventually develop and send to UI President Bruce Harreld.

“President Harreld asked us to find themes. He’s not giving us a vision, he wants us to develop a vision,” said Tom Vaughn, UI associate professor of health management and policy.

The nine recommendations included studying Association of American Universities criteria and gaps between input and outcome, along with developing “enhanced” recruitment packages especially in growth areas such as engineering and science.

Another recommendation called for faculty metrics for promotion and for post-tenure productivity to be reviewed.

Students’ well-being and communication skills are also among the recommendations.

Furthermore, the list of recommendations suggested improving underrepresented student and faculty retention by “recruitment at traditionally black or minority colleges.”

The Faculty Council has been asked to form a strategic planning task force for the next five to six months to develop the recommendations, said Christina Bohannan, the Faculty Council president and a UI law professor.

Bohannan said the task force would include members from across campus and work to set long-term goals.

Two implementation teams will be formed, which include a strategic implementation team and an opposition team. The strategic team will develop projects that will take 18 months to 5 years to implement. The opposition team will work on projects that take up to 18 months, she said.

— by Madeline Murphy Smith