Newton: The importance of the youth vote

Sydney Newton
Amid the vast amounts of political gossip, commercials, and everything else, people seem to have formed somewhat of an idea about whom they are going to vote for this year. Whether people decide to act on their opinion is what really matters. And millennials seem to be slumping in this regard.

According to CBS News, voters ages 18-29 made up 13 percent of the national electorate in 2014, a 6 percentage point drop from 2012.

Sometimes there are things you don’t necessarily have to do but should do as a citizen: your civic responsibilities, such as jury duty, volunteering, and shoveling the snow off your sidewalk. Other than the obvious, “living by the code of ethics,” voting is the most significant thing you can do as a citizen. It seems simple, right? If you have the right to help make the decision of who the leader of your country will be, why wouldn’t you vote?

Unfortunately, not everyone agrees with that logic. The reasoning can be categorized into two general areas: Some just don’t care, and some are just lazy. Of course, as always, there are other legitimate reasons. With the younger generation, a big excuse that seems to stand in the way of voting is the belief that their votes won’t matter.

We could go on and on for days on why this generation continues to have that mindset, whether it’s the schooling system, the parents, or simply the millennials themselves. Regardless of the root of the problem, something needs to change. It won’t be a simple or one-answer issue to solve, but we need to start making steps toward creating a better turnout among these voters.

Some solutions could be online voting (so people don’t even have to leave their homes), more reminders of when/where you can vote, and, an idea for college students, places to vote on campuses (which Iowa City provides). I’ve heard countless peers say politics is stupid or that they don’t know anything about the candidates. I think people fail to notice the direct connection from the issues we face as a nation to voting for the person who has the ability to change them.

The obvious idea of targeting millennials on their own terms, such as Facebook instead of phone calls, is being used by most candidates, but that still doesn’t seem to be a solution. Maybe it’s inevitable that politics will never stop being “annoying,” but that ignorance simply doesn’t make sense. If politics is annoying to people, then they shouldn’t bother complaining about things relating to politics that happen in this country.

To put it simply, younger adults aren’t using their full potential. We have this right, so let’s not take it for granted. While most think their vote won’t matter, it’s almost the exact opposite. The millennials (ages 18-34) make up a quarter of the nation’s population. In fact, they have surpassed the baby boomers as the nation’s largest living generation.

Regardless of whom you decide to support, it’s incredibly important to look at each candidates’ policies and plans. If you are too lazy for that, I can promise you that you won’t have to look far to find someone willing to help you out. If you conclude that you don’t like anyone, then that’s OK, too. But if you do, once you make the decision, no one will beg you to stand on the corner with a sign. All you have to do is vote.