Is Iowa the favorite to win the Big Ten?

Iowa guard Anthony Clemmons drives against University of Sioux Falls in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Thursday, Oct. 29, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cougars, 99-73. (The Daily Iowan/Joshua Housing)

Yes

The Hawkeyes have a pretty good shot at winning the regular-season Big Ten title after an impressive start to the season.

Just look at the competition.

Indiana is the only other team in the Big Ten without a conference loss. The Hoosiers are currently 15-3, with a 20-point loss to Duke. Indiana’s best victory was by a 1-point margin over 10-9 Wisconsin.     Indiana — out.

Maryland is loaded with talent, but it is not at all a cohesive basketball team. The Terrapins just lost to Michigan, a squad Iowa beat by double digits. A Jan. 28 showdown between the Terrapins and the Hawkeyes, with an Iowa victory, may very well seal the fate of the entire conference.     Maryland — out.

Ohio State has only two conference losses, but the Buckeyes have victories over no one of significance. The Buckeyes look like they belong in a mid-major conference right now.

Ohio State — out.

Purdue and Michigan each have two conference losses, and the two have to face off once more before the season has completed. Moreover, they each have to play Iowa again, and the Hawkeyes have already trounced them both.

Purdue and Michigan — out.

Michigan State, Nebraska, and Northwestern all have three conference losses already. That’s simply too many losses to catch up and win the conference, and they all have to play each other before the fat lady sings.

All three — out.

That leaves Iowa.

The Hawkeyes have defeated a ranked Spartan squad by double digits twice. With a 5-0 conference record and the most impressive résumé among any Big Ten team, expect the Hawkeyes to stand alone atop the conference mountain when it is all said and done.

— Mason Clarke

No

After defeating Michigan State and Michigan recently, the Hawkeyes increased their winning streak to seven games, and they share first place with Indiana in the Big Ten standings. But even after their hot start in Big Ten play, there are still some questions to be answered if they want to hoist the Big Ten Championship trophy come March.

The first is, how will they handle the pressure of being on top? When a team is anointed as the favorite, it puts a target on its back, and who knows if the Hawkeyes are ready to handle being in that position?

Besides, the last time the Hawks won (tied) the Big Ten Championship was in the 1978-79 season under Lute Olson. The Big Ten Championship drought will add extra pressure, especially when playing on the road.

The three road games Iowa fans should be most concerned with are at Maryland Jan. 28, at Indiana Feb 11, and at Michigan on March 5.  Currently, all three teams are undefeated in Big Ten play at home. It’s not hard to see Iowa falling in a couple of those tough road games.

Remember, the Hawkeyes had a shaky start on the road in Big Ten play against Purdue, trailing the Boilermakers by 17 at halftime. Maryland, Indiana, and Michigan are not environments that will allow slow starts such as the Hawks had against Purdue on Jan. 2.

Even if Iowa loses all three of those games, they may still have a chance to share the Big Ten title with favorite and No.7 Maryland. Sharing a Big Ten Championship would be a remarkable achievement, especially after beginning the season with an exhibition loss to Augustana on Nov. 6, 2015.

— Connor Sindberg