Gesell named Big Ten Player of the Week

AP
Marquette’s Haanif Cheatham looks to pass the ball as Iowa’s Mike Gesell defends during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game Thursday, Nov. 19, 2015, in Milwaukee. (AP Photo/Tom Lynn)

Gesell scored 22 points on 7 shots and dished out 10 assists in the victory over Nebraska.

Iowa point guard Mike Gesell was rewarded on Jan. 11 for his play in the Hawkeyes’ 77-66 victory over Nebraska on Jan. 5 in Carver-Hawkeye. He was named the Big Ten Player of the Week for the first time in his career.

The senior guard is on track for his best season as a Hawkeye, and he has been playing particularly well leading into the game with the Huskers. After scoring only 3 points in the first half to go with 3 assists, he exploded in the second half.

He had 7 assists and no turnovers in the last 20 minutes of play, scoring 19 points and going 10-of-13 from the free throw line. At the end of the game, Gesell had 10 assists and 22 points on only 7 shots from the floor.

Fran McCaffery’s four-year starter was named Freshman of the Week in 2012, but he has otherwise gone unrecognized by the Big Ten since. Gesell has taken a step forward in his final season, and in recent weeks, he has powered the Hawkeye offense in crunch time in numerous tough wins.

Though Gesell and the Hawks played only one game in the past week, the recognition for Gesell is well-deserved.

— Kyle Mann