Highlights from Ferentz’s press conference — Jan. 7

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz gets interviewed after the Iowa-Illinois State game in Kinnick on Saturday, Sept. 5, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Redbirds, 31-14. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz on Jan. 7 spoke with the media headed into the Hawkeyes’ off-season. Below are notes of what he has to say. We’ll have more up later on, as well.

By Danny Payne

Time to put a bookend on Iowa’s 2015 season and look ahead to the 2016 one. Below are your highlights.

• Ferentz opened his press conference expressing condolences for Bump Elliott’s wife, Barbara, who passed away earlier this week.
  • Ferentz thanked Jim Reid, who was named Boston College defensive coordinator, for his years of service at Iowa. “Just want to thank Jim for his contributions.”
  • “Depth charts in January are a starting point.”

• Don’t expect this to be the lineup in the opener.
  • Ferentz praised Desmond King for coming back, said there isn’t any news on Drew Ott’s potential medical hardship yet.
  • James Daniels and Joshua Jackson had surgery after bowl game; Ferentz expected them to be out or limited during spring practice.
  • “It was tough to come up short in those last two ball games.” Ferentz praised Stanford, saying its a very good football team. Says Christian McCaffrey could be the best football player he’s coached against in his 17 years as Iowa’s head guy.
  • Ferentz praised his football players. “They’re the ones doing all the hard work … I’m really proud of this football team.” Said he’ll turn the page to next year when the team gets together on Jan. 19, the first day of spring semester.
  • “It’s conceivable we could have a better football team next year and not win 12 football games, just like it’s conceivable Desmond King could play better next year and not win the Thorpe Award.”
  • Ferentz took time to thank the Iowa turnout in Indianapolis for the Big Ten Championship Game as well as the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California.
  • Ferentz said he’s not surprised about King news but pleased with his decision.
  • On Reid’s replacement, Ferentz said he has a few ideas for how to replace him but will take his time on making a decision.
  • On potential staff changes: “We’ll see.” Ferentz said he’s still thinking through things. Very noncommittal on everything — it’s only been six days since the Rose Bowl, everyone.
  • Ferentz said he’s optimistic on C.J. Beathard’s health. Doesn’t expect surgery but “medicine isn’t black and white.”
  • Ferentz said he’s very happy King told Beathard about his decision to return before he announced it. Said he really likes the leadership and King’s decision-making process.
  • Ferentz compares defensive ends Parker Hesse and Matt Nelson to offensive tackles Ike Boettger and Boone Myers last season.
  • When the team talks about things in February, bowl preparation process will be at the top of the list. “I don’t think we’re that far off,” but did say there are things to change.
  • Lots of McCaffrey praise from Ferentz. He loves the guy.
  • Says Akrum Wadley’s biggest challenge is getting his weight up and taking hits. Just needs that endurance.
  • In terms of kicker Miguel Recinos and punter Colten Rastetter, “There’s a lot to be learned.”
  • Ferentz thought Josey Jewell embodies everything a team’s looking for in a linebacker. “He’s a committed, hard-working young player.”
  • Ferentz said the whole program is excited to see what Beathard can do when he’s healthy. “He can get there; we need him to stay there.”
  • Ferentz said he never heard from the NFL Draft Advisory Board in regards to King. Says the call usually comes Christmas Eve, but it never came this year.
  • In terms of Jay Scheel, “In December, we saw him playing the way we think he can play.”
  • That’s a wrap, folks. Next time Ferentz will talk to the media in this setting will be for National Signing Day. More coverage later today.