Holidays on silver screen

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. It’s also the most wonderful time for movies. While such films as Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Santa Claus, and A Christmas Story are all magnificent, 2015 may be a year of new holiday favorites. See how the most recent holiday films compare with some past preferences.Love Actually
This beautiful tale graced the big screen in 2003. Following the lives of eight couples in London,Love Actually strays from the typical holiday movie. As opposed to seeing only one love story, we get to watch numerous unfold. This movie always puts me in a giddy spirit with themes of both romance and Christmas. Add a fun, young girl’s rendition of “All I want for Christmas,” by Mariah Carey and a hunky Hugh Grant, and you’ve got yourself a perfect holiday movie.

Christmas Eve
Similar to Love Actually, in Christmas Eve we get to watch six different elevators get stuck around New York City and learn about the people inside them. Unfortunately, this movie did not grasp my attention. The characters were not memorable whatsoever and, though calledChristmas Eve, this movie could have taken place any day of the year. The only redeeming quality was the music brought to us by violinist Jenny Oaks Baker. Other than that, this movie was, quite frankly, garbage.

Elf
Will Ferrell. Zooey Deschanel. What more does a movie need?Elf joins Buddy, a man who mistakenly grew up in the North Pole, believing he was an elf. After his identity crisis, Buddy journeys to New York City to reunite with his pessimistic father. This holiday comedy has the best elements of any Christmas movie: carols, Santa Claus, snow, and cheer. If you’ve never seen this movie, I’d strongly advise you watch it right now, on repeat, 20 times in a row. It’s just that good.

The Night Before
A new holiday sitcom has been introduced. Though not as cherished as Elf, The Night Before has definitely made a name for itself in holiday classics. This movie follows three hilarious friends (Seth Rogen, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Anthony Mackie) as they travel to find the ultimate party to end a 10-year tradition of going out on Christmas Eve. When not gawking at how handsome Gordon–Levitt looks in a Christmas sweater, I was snickering over the hilarity this group had to offer. Plus, Mindy Kaling and Tracy Morgan star in this film, too. I may not advise it for children, but it will definitely keep adults laughing for holidays to come.

The Nightmare Before Christmas
The famous The Nightmare Before Christmas was released in 1997. Jack Skellington, the pumpkin king of Halloweentown, attempts to dominate Christmastown by kidnapping Santa Claus.The Nightmare Before Christmas is a beloved movie for both adults and children, even if it gave me nightmares as a kid. This movie breaks tradition and mixes spooky with the cheerful holiday. Luckily, this movie ends on a happy note, and Christmas is saved. The best part about this movie is it fits in with both Christmas and Halloween.

Krampus