Rowling into letters

A letter from JK Rowling is on display at the Welcome Desk inside the IMU Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2015. Students at the University of Iowa have been campaigning to get Rowling to visit but so far she has not. (The Daily Iowan/Sergio Flores)

Harry Potter fans at the University of Iowa are planning the next steps to bring J.K. Rowling to Iowa City.

By Anis Shakirah Mohd Muslimin

Potterheads could not contain their excitement when they gathered to collect letters from their idol J.K. Rowling.

Rowling sent about 500 letters in response to a campaign the University of Iowa Lecture Committee launched earlier this year to draw the author to Iowa City for a speaking event next spring.

“All these years later, I am still astonished by how many people loved the books,” Rowling said in the reply letters. “Letters like yours really do make my day.”

She declined to come to the UI, but the committee has not given up hope. Writers could pick up their replies at the IMU Wednesday.

“I didn’t expect her to have a response to every single one, so that was really incredible and really sweet to see,” said Carter Bell, chair of the committee. “Her representative said she was touched to know that we had so many letters, and that 500 was quite a feat, so that was really nice to hear.”

Bell said the committee is planning on recording a series of testimonials to attract the British writer to the university. Besides testimonials from Rowling’s fans, the committee has also been reaching out to previous speakers to contribute to the videos. She said members are also open to new ideas from the general public.

“We are trying to take the subtle rejection that we got, and figure out how we can keep the conversation alive and figuring what we can do moving forward,” said Alexander Hylka, a student member of the UI Lecture Committee. “We are trying to maintain an open mind and keep this campaign going.”

Hylka said the videos could be done annually and members are looking to expand their partnerships with other local organizations as a way to turn the campaign into a community effort.

He said the committee’s primary goal is to let community members know that they have not given up in their pursuits to bring Rowling to the UI, and that a change in strategy is needed to achieve that.    

Arianna Chronis, a senior at the UI, said she felt excited at getting her letter and that she feels Rowling should come to Iowa City because of the city’s status as a UNESCO City of Literature.

In her letter to Rowling, Chronis said she told the author about how much Harry Potter impacted her life.

“You know we’re in that sweet spot of growing up with Harry, so what I appreciated was that as I grew up my reading level increased,” she said. “Harry also grew up, and her writing also matured, it was perfect for me as a reader.”