Marsalis graces the Englert

One of the most famous families in jazz will be in Iowa City this weekend.

The Ellis Marsalis Quartet, presented by Hancher, will play at 7:30 p.m. Fridayat the Englert, 221 E. Washington St.

Marsalis was born in New Orleans on Nov. 14, 1934. Playing since the 1940s, he has a large influence in the jazz world and his children have become known worldwide as musicians as well.

“[Ellis Marsalis] is the father of the most famous family in jazz,” said Rob Cline, the Hancher director of marketing and communications. “There’s a lot of name recognition that goes with the Marsalis family.”

Hancher Programming Director Jacob Yarrow said Hancher has a long history of presenting jazz music to Iowa City.

“Ellis Marsalis is one of the great, central figures in jazz,” Yarrow said. “He’s crazy influential as a player and as a teacher and as one of the main, modern jazz pianist from New Orleans at this point in time. He’s a really interesting artist.”

Four members compose the Ellis Marsalis Quartet: Marsalis, Doug Douget, Jason Stewart, and Jason Marsalis.

“This is a top-notch band,” Yarrow said. “I’ve heard them all play in different groups and together. It’s super fun and super interesting music that they play.”

Marsalis was brought in to satisfy locals. The main component in selecting artists, Yarrow said, is deciding what the Hancher people wish to accomplish and whom they’re trying to engage. Then they find artists that overlap those goals.

Cline expects a memorable show.

“[Ellis Marsalis] is an amazing player,” he said. “We’re expecting impeccable musicianship. The playing will be excellent, but it will also be engaging.”

The quartet will play a show specifically geared toward the holidays.

“There’s an opportunity to celebrate whatever holiday traditions might be any given audience members’ preference,” Cline said. “We expect, therefore, it will be an entertaining and relaxing performance here in what can be a stressful time for students who are getting ready for finals and for people who are rushing around for the holidays … it provides an oasis in all of that hurry up and go.”

Yarrow hopes the performance will bring the community of Iowa City together.

“Expect a great time, the feeling of being part of a community…magic that can only happen at a performance with the 700 people that are there at the Englert with these great artists on stage where we can come together, and have a shared experience, and reaffirm what’s good about the world,” Yarrow said.

MUSIC
Ellis Marsalis Quartet
When: 7:30 p.m. Friday
Where: Englert, 221 E. Washington