Begging goes musical

Charles Dickens’ iconic novel comes to the stage in City Circle’s production of Oliver.
By Gracey Murphy

Seventy strangers crowd a busy London crossing in Victorian street urchin attire. A large, ominous bridge lurks overhead as children scurry from pocket to pocket swiping coins.

Eight weeks of lengthy rehearsals, line memorization, and perfecting English accents has led each individual to this moment.

Oliver, a classic musical based on the novel by Charles Dickens, follows Oliver, a young orphan, as he travels through London with a band of pick-pockets. City Circle Acting Company will perform this musical this weekend and next at Coralville Center for the Performing Arts, 1301 Fifth St.

Elizabeth Tracey, the director, said she’s loved this musical and Dickens since she was a young child. She thinks families of all ages could attend the show for the holidays. The cast itself is composed of 74 actors, with approximately 150 people contributing to the show.

“Dickens allows so many actors to play very strong characters,” Tracey said. “It’s episodic so that many times a character may do one scene and not be in another scene.”

Some of the actors recall viewing this show as children, too. By participating in this production, they get to relive parts of their childhood.  John Smick (who plays Bill Sykes) thinks many people are familiar with Oliver even if they don’t realize it. Songs such as “Food Glorious Food,” “As Long as he Needs Me,” and “Om-Pah-Pah” are popular among many and originate from Oliver. And of course, no one can forget the iconic line, “Please, sir, I want some more.”

“I remember watching this movie on TV when I was just a kid and being terrified of Bill Sykes, “ Smick said. “I was the age of Oliver when I was watching this show, so I identified with him and thinking there would be an adult in my life as cruel and malevolent in this guy was terrifying. I just need to be able to play that role now.”

The actors have had to learn English accents for the show, as well. Smick grew up with “Monty Python,” so he was thrilled to try a Cockney accent. He’s also been in shows like Spam-a-lot, so his accent came simply.

For the children, Tracey said they picked up the accent quickly, too. However, some actors had more troubles than others. They had to rely on the help of cast mates and YouTube tutorials to perfect their voices.

“The hardest thing about deciding whether or not to be in this how was if I felt I could actually pull of the accent,” said Jessica Wittman. “The production team has done really well with the support we need. I ask a lot of the other cast members ‘How do you say this?’ and then I say it 25 times.”

Wittman has been in this show three times, but this is her first time playing Nancy. It’s the role she’s always wanted; she was glad Tracey believed she could do it. She said it’s a dream come true.

Strenuous work has gone into constructing the set, which started in Oct. Tracey wanted the height of the set to be threatening, so there will be a 16-foot barn on one side, as well as a bridge that spans the length of the stage. Finding costumes for each character has been challenging, too, as the cast is so big. All the outfits are Victorian to fit the era and place.

There will also be a food drive held in the lobby during performances. If people bring food, they’ll be entered into a raffle to win tickets for upcoming shows. This way, the show will entertain and give back to the community.

“[The show] is great family entertainment,” Tracey said. “It’ll be good for all ages. From the youngest to the oldest person, it’s one of those rare shows that everyone will enjoy it.”

THEATER
What:Oliver
When: 7:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 2 p.m. Dec. 13
Where: Coralville Center for the Performing Arts, 1301 Fifth St.
Admission: $12-$27