Football wins bring prosperity

Joshua Housing
Employee at Tailgate Samantha Peterson organizes clothes in the Tailgate clothing store near the intersection of Clinton St. and Washington St. on Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2015. Tailgate first opened June of 2014. (The Daily Iowan/Joshua Housing)

By Lauren O’Machel

Everything is coming up roses for the Hawkeyes — and local businesses, too.

A near-perfect season has not only put a smile on coach Kirk Ferentz’s face, but also for those who own businesses in the Iowa City area selling Hawkeye merchandise. Ellie Ejiasi, store manager for Tailgate Clothing, 30 S. Clinton St, has been preparing for this all season.

“It’s been a really awesome season. It obviously helps when they’re winning,” Ejiasi said as the phone was ringing off in the store on Tuesday. “We have Rose Bowl graphics coming out next week.”

Iowa has not appeared in the Rose Bowl since 1991, and will do so on New Year’s Day against Stanford.

Richard Shannon, director of the Iowa Hawk Shop, 125 N. Madison St., has also been busy making sure Hawkeye fans are all geared up for the big game.

“The response has been tremendous,” said Shannon.

He said the store has seen a large number of orders: over 500 after the Hawkeyes won the division championship and around 2,000 after the Rose Bowl announcement.

Shannon hasn’t seen these many orders since the football team went to the Orange Bowl back in 2003.

A sign hung above empty shelves and hanging racks that re-assured customers the new shipments will be coming in frequently.

Kirt Vanderhoef, manager at Iowa Book, 8 S. Clinton St., was busy logging in the merchandise online as well as keeping track of Rose Bowl gear as it is flying on the shelves.

“We’re doing inventory today but all around we are really excited for our Hawkeyes,” Vanderhoef said.

Sarah Wahlin, a sophomore at the University of Iowa, was shopping for her dad who wants to go to the Rose Bowl to cheer on the Hawkeyes on Tuesday. She was buying plenty of sweatshirts in advance of the game at Iowa Book. Shelves were bare with only large and extra large sizes left.

“I think it’s really cool because I remember last year I went to a bunch of the games and it’s really fun to see how well they are doing this year,” Wahlin said. “I’m definitely going to have to buy season tickets next year.”