Highlights from Kirk Ferentz’s Press Conference — 12/6

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz gets interviewed after the Iowa-Illinois State game in Kinnick on Saturday, Sept. 5, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Redbirds, 31-14. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz is meeting the media in a special Sunday press conference to discuss No. 5 Iowa’s loss to No. 3 Michigan State in the Big Ten Championship and its impending matchup with No. 6 Stanford in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1, 2016.

Just kidding — Gary Barta is speaking first. Here’s his highlights, followed by Ferentz’s.

• First word: Thanks
  • “Wow, the Rose Bowl, what a great thrill.”
  • Barta said the Hawkeyes didn’t get word they’re going to the Rose Bowl until after it was announced on ESPN.
  • Barta said the Rose Bowl is going to be comparable to the Big Ten Championship game Dec. 5. He’s really glad the Hawkeye players get to compete in an environment like that again.

Kirk now.

• First words: Thanks
  • “The Rose Bowl is the Grandaddy of them all.” Ferentz said he’s looking forward competing against Pac-12 Champion Stanford.
  • “Certainly last night was a tough night for us, and this news is good medicine.” Ferentz praises everything about his team’s effort against the Spartans.
  • Ferentz takes time to thank Des Moines Register columnist Rick Brown, who is taking a buyout, for his years covering the Hawkeyes.
  • Ferentz said he’s very excited to get back to the Rose Bowl. This will be his first appearance as a head coach.
  • Ferentz said his most vivid memory of coaching in the 1981 Rose Bowl was punter Reggie Roby punting the ball 70 yards and out-kicking the coverage by about 40 yards.
  • “I think this has been three years in the making,” Ferentz says. He’s really glad the seniors get a chance to do this as their last game.
  • Ferentz said there won’t be anything football related until this weekend. Said they were drained coming off the field after the Championship.
  •  On the Rose Bowl’s aura: “The pageantry, it is one of those games … everything about it is really special.”
  • Ferentz doesn’t use the word ‘consolation’ but rather medicine.
  • Ferentz said Jordan Canzeri has a sprained right ankle. He’s in a boot for precautionary reasons, but Ferentz hopes he’ll be able to play against the Cardinal.
  • Ferentz called Iowa’s fan base in Indianapolis very impressive.
  • Ferentz said he’s not aware of anything in regards to any of his assistants moving elsewhere for other jobs.