New UI Children’s Hospital named after Stead family

FILE – The University of Iowa Health Care building is seen on Wednesday, Oct. 1, 2016. (The Daily Iowan/file)

By Cindy Garcia

The state Board of Regents unanimously voted in favor of renaming the new $360 million University of Iowa’s Children Hospital in honor of the Stead family in a meeting Wednesday.

The new name, the Stead Family University of Iowa Children’s Hospital, will be put in place next November, when the hospital opens.

Jerre and Mary Joy Stead are Iowa natives who graduated from the UI.

“I just want to express our gratitude to them for what they have done and continue to do for children’s programs in the state and the impact of their gift will continue to be enormous for all the children in the state and their families, but also the country,” Jean Robillard, UI’s vice president for Medical Affairs, told the regents at the meeting before a UIHC presentation.

Jerre Stead is currently the chairman and CEO of the Colorado-based IHS Inc., which specializes in providing information and analytics.

Stead was also part of the UI Presidential Search Committee, which recommended Bruce Harreld for the vacant position. In local news media, Stead has been portrayed as a mentor to Harreld.

Jerre and Mary Joy Stead’s support to the UI totals $53.9 million. In 2013, the UI also named the Stead Family Department of Pediatrics in their honor.