Ferentz unanimous Big Ten Coach of the Year

For the fourth time in his 17-year career, Ferentz was named the best in the conference.

By Jordan Hansen

Iowa head football coach Kirk Ferentz is the unanimous Big Ten Coach of the Year.

It’s the fourth time the Hawkeye head coach has won the award (2002, 2004, 2009) and comes on the heels of Iowa finishing the regular season 12-0, a year removed from a 7-6 season.

“I’m honored to be recognized in a conference that has outstanding coaches throughout the league,” Ferentz said in a statement. “The success of our season is the result of a lot of hard work by our entire coaching staff and every member of our football program.”

Several other awards were also announced Tuesday evening, including the conference first, second, and third teams.

Guard Jordan Walsh was honored as a first-team member by the coaches and second team by the media.

Quarterback C.J. Beathard and center Austin Blythe were both unanimous second-team selections. Running back Jordan Canzeri was a unanimous third-team member, which rounded out Iowa’s players on all-conference teams.

Two other Iowa players — wide receiver Matt VandeBerg and guard Sean Welsh — were also named honorable mention by both the media and the coaches.

Elsewhere, Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott won both the Graham-George Offensive Player and Ameche-Dayne Running Back of the Year awards.

Michigan State’s Connor Cook took home the Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year honor, and Michigan tight end Jake Butt was named the Kwalick-Clark Tight End of the Year award recipient.