King earns Big Ten accolades

Iowa cornerback Desmond King earned recognition Monday for his play in 2015.

The junior earned All-Big Ten honors by league media and coaches, and he was also named the Big Ten Tatum-Woodson Defensive Back of the Year. He was the only player to be unanimously selected by the media (no one was unanimous for the coaches). King’s 8 interceptions rank first in the country and in school history, and he also received an honorable mention as a return specialist.

Sophomore linebacker Josey Jewell landed on the second team by both the coaches and the media, while kicker Marshall Koehn earned second-team honors by the coaches.

Senior defensive end Nate Meier made the third-team by both groups of voters, while safety Jordan Lomax did so with just the coaches.

Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 12.46.13 AM

Several Hawkeyes received honorable mentions by one or both voting groups, including linebacker Cole Fisher, defensive tackle Jaleel Johnson, punter Dillon Kidd, and linebacker Ben Niemann.

Despite being the only unanimous selection on defense by either group, King lost out on Defensive Player of the Year to Carl Nassib, Penn State’s defensive lineman who leads the nation with 15.5 sacks. And in an odd move, Joey Bosa was actually named the conference’s best defensive lineman over Nassib. Wisconsin’s Joe Schobert — who had 3 sacks and forced two fumbles against Iowa on Oct. 3 — received the award for the Big Ten’s top linebacker.

The conference will announce offensive awards and teams at 5 p.m. Wednesday on the Big Ten Network.

— by Charlie Green