Will Iowa finish with an undefeated regular season?

Yes

Before the season started, when you looked at the Hawkeyes’ schedule, how many wins did you see? The most optimistic fans would say nine, maybe even 10 wins.

Not one person can say they saw the Hawkeyes finishing the regular season undefeated, yet here we are, one win away from that happening.

And they’ll get it done against Nebraska on Friday.

Nebraska is long removed from its 1990s glory, and even the Bo Pelini nine-win-per-season era seems like a distant memory. This year’s Husker squad has posted a 5-6 record, with losses to BYU, Illinois, and Purdue — a game in which they gave up 55 points to the Boilermakers.

Nebraska is 83rd in the nation in total defense, the side of the ball the Cornhuskers normally hang their hat on. They give up 415 yards per game, with 305 of those coming through the air.

Iowa quarterback C.J. Beathard had a game against Purdue that gives you confidence in the junior to win a game throwing the ball.

The junior had a QB rating of 83.6 against Purdue while averaging more than 10 yards per pass. All of that was done in the harshest conditions the Hawkeyes will play in all season.

Iowa will play for history and an undefeated regular season, while Nebraska will play to get to .500.

In a rivalry game, the Hawkeyes are sure to get Nebraska’s best shot, but the Huskers will get Iowa’s as well. There’s no such thing as a “trap game” for Iowa at this point; the Hawks can’t afford to look past a team if they want a spot in the College Football Playoff.

Iowa will bring its “A” game, and I don’t think Nebraska can win if that happens.

— by Blake Dowson

No

Before I begin my argument, there’s no surprise that Iowa has had a solid season thus far.

Going 11-0, moving up in the national polls, and winning the Big Ten West. Everything has seemed “perfect” for Hawkeye fans.

However, there’s still one game left in the regular season, and if Iowa isn’t ready now, it had better be soon.

The Hawkeyes will travel to Lincoln to compete against the Huskers in a contest that won’t be an easy one to grab. Nebraska had a bye week to prepare for Iowa. This is a program that’s itching to make a bowl game and needs a big win to move the program forward. The Huskers also beat Michigan State this year and are on a two-game winning streak.

If Iowa comes into this contest comfortably thinking it can coast into the Big Ten Championship Game 12-0, that “confidence” should disappear quickly.

The Hawkeyes have a way of building a strong lead in a game, but it quickly dissipates because they play to their opponents’ level. They never fully execute with a strong lead, which allows other teams to catch up. If they let a team such as Nebraska get in the game and play like they know they can, it won’t be easy for the Hawkeyes.

Iowa has played well on the road, yes, but this game marks the last for the Huskers, they’re at home, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re fired up to be the first to knock Iowa out of a perfect season.

— by Mario Williams