Big Ten Notebook: Interesting times

Ohio State players along with head coach Urban Meyer sing the school fight song at the end of the game at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio on Saturday, Oct. 19, 2013. Ohio State extended their winning streak to 19 games. Ohio State defeated Iowa, 34-24. (The Daily Iowan/file photo)

Ohio State vs. Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Michigan headline a big week in the Big Ten.
By Jordan Hansen

With the Big Ten East race heating up, No. 9 (AP and College Playoff) Michigan State rolls into Columbus this weekend for a matchup with undefeated No. 2 (AP), No. 3(College Playoff) Ohio State.

While the Spartans spoiled the potential unbeaten-versus-unbeaten story line after being upset by Nebraska on Nov. 7, they are still 9-1 and should be a huge test for the Buckeyes.

“That’s the top of our conference, and obviously the next two games we have are big big-time games, and that’s human nature to say we see what’s coming,” Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer said during a Monday news conference. “Very, very good team we’re playing, and we’ve had some great games with them.”

Ohio State, Michigan State, and Michigan still have a chance to win the division, and Saturday’s game will go a long way to determining the pecking order.

If the Buckeyes and Wolverines (who play at Penn State this weekend) both win this weekend, they will play for a spot in the Big Ten Championship when they meet on Nov. 28. If Michigan State wins, it will play in Indianapolis for the conference title if it also wins against Penn State, which the Spartans play on Nov. 28.

“We’re not perfect, we’re not 10-0, but I guess we’re one game away from what everybody thought would happen,” Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio said duringTuesday’s Big Ten teleconference. “I’m very proud of our football team in terms of we’re 9-1 and an opportunity to win No. 10.

“With two weeks left, we’re in control of our own situation.”

Battle for second in the Big Ten West

No. 5 Iowa could sew up the Big Ten West crown against Purdue this weekend, but if it doesn’t, both Northwestern and Wisconsin will  fight for a spot in the championship.

The Badgers and the Wildcats play this weekend, and the winner will remain just one game behind Iowa with one to go. Iowa holds a tiebreaker over both teams, but if it drops its final two games, the spot could open up.

Wisconsin will finish the season at Minnesota, and Northwestern will end the regular season at Illinois.

“We need to have a good week of prep to get ready for a good Northwestern team,” Wisconsin head coach Paul Chryst said during Tuesday’s Big Ten teleconference. “I’ve always believed you play the season … you need to enjoy the season and play in the moment.”

Rudock’s big day

Michigan quarterback Jake Rudock threw for a career-high 440 yards and a team record 6 touchdowns in a double-overtime win against Indiana on Nov. 14.

Rudock and team wide receiver Jehu Chesson (who tied a Michigan record with 4 touchdown catches) were named Co-Big Ten Players of the Week.

“Jake’s improved in a lot of areas this year,” Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh said on Tuesday’s Big Ten teleconference. “Passing efficiency, accuracy, leadership, winning — he’s done a fabulous job.”

Follow @JordyHansen on Twitter for Iowa football news, updates, and analysis.