Brooks wins Wrestler of the Week

Iowa’s Sammy Brooks wrestles against Oklahoma State’s Jordan Rogers in the 184-pound match in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 14, 2015. Brooks defeated Rogers by technical fall in 4:09, 17-2. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cowboys, 18-16. (The Daily Iowan/Joshua Housing)

A day after Iowa’s Sammy Brooks was named the USA Wrestling Athlete of the Week, the Big Ten announced the 184-pounder was also the conference’s Wrestler of the Week.

Both awards are the first in Brooks’ career and come after a 17-2 technical-fall victory over Oklahoma State’s Jordan Rogers at the Grapple on the Gridiron on Nov. 14.

“Brooks gave us some bonus points, a 5-point win, team-wise, that’s big. The way that he was wrestling, hitting those holds, that’s what we want,” Iowa head wrestling coach Tom Brands said after the meet. “He can do that against anybody, his consistency is that good. I’ve said that for a long time.”

The Hawkeyes trailed Oklahoma State 13-10 coming into the 184-pound bout, and things were not looking good for the team. However, Brooks’ victory pushed the team score to 15-13, Iowa.

Nathan Burak grabbed a decision victory in the next match, and Iowa led 18-13, meaning Oklahoma State had to get a pin in the heavyweight bout to win the meet.

While the Cowboys won the heavyweight match by decision, Brooks’ bonus points gave the Hawkeyes some breathing room and allowed them to win the first outdoor wrestling meet held in a Division-1 football stadium.

“I tried to stay focused on things I needed to do, but it was hard,” Brooks said after the meet. “When I wrestle the best is when I’m not trying to squeak by and now I got to keep this going to whomever I wrestle next.”

— by Jordan Hansen