The Daily Iowan’s Iowa-Minnesota Exams

DI football reporters Danny Payne and Jordan Hansen list four things No. 5 Iowa must do in order to beat Minnesota.

Keep pressure C.J. Beathard 

Against Indiana, Iowa quarterback C.J. Beathard looked as good as he has in the last three games. One of the things the Hawkeyes did well in that game was keep him upright and for as much as Minnesota’s defense has been talked up, it doesn’t get to the quarterback or running backs behind the line of scrimmage very well. If Iowa can give him time to pass, this game might not even be close.

Force Minnesota into red-zone field goals

The Gophers are next to last in the Big Ten in red zone touchdown percentage and are punching the ball in the end zone only about 42-percent of the time. As a source of comparison, Iowa scores touchdowns on 75-percent of its trips to the red zone.

Play within itself

There isn’t any reason Iowa should lose this game. However, with all of the fanfare and that fun stuff, a let down is possible. Keeping emotions in check is key, and as long as Iowa plays its own game, things should be OK for the Hawks.

Limit penalty yards

Iowa is sixth in the Big Ten in penalty yards, averaging 51.6 yards per game. Maryland is the worst in the league, averaging 74 yards per game. Minnesota is at 48.2, for comparison. This goes back to the previous point — don’t beat yourself, Iowa.