INSTANT REACTION: Iowa 40, Minnesota 35

The Iowa football team beat Minnesota, 40-35.

By Danny Payne

The 2015 Iowa football team is off to the best start in Iowa football history. With a 40-35 win over Minnesota, the Hawkeyes moved to 10-0 for the first time since football began at Iowa. We’ll have more later on this evening, but in the meantime, here are some thoughts.

• On a seemingly weekly basis, Kirk Ferentz talks about team football and playing well in sequences. Want a prime example of that? Minnesota scores, Desmond King returns the ensuing kickoff to the 37-yard line, Iowa scores, and the defense forces a three-and-out. Although that was at the beginning of the fourth quarter, it effectively killed Minnesota’s chance at winning.
  • Give Minnesota credit, it came in with a tremendous game plan and stretched Iowa to its limits. However, the Hawks did enough to pull out a win. Hey, at this point in the season, that’s all that matters if you’re Iowa. Don’t have to be spectacular, just keep finding ways to win games.
  • I’m going to write about this in my column for Monday’s paper, but Nov. 14 is the best day in Kinnick Stadium, like ever. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
  • Iowa’s offense, man. The Hawks have scored 30 or more points in four-consecutive Big Ten games. Granted, that stat isn’t all telling — Iowa wasn’t great in a situational sense this evening — but 30-plus is 30-plus.
  • This defense probably won’t have a fun film session Sunday. It didn’t adjust all afternoon, and the Gophers’ offense put up some numbers. Like, more than 400-yards of offense.
  • Check that, this is by far the worst the defense has looked this year. Oof.
  • C.J. Beathard left the game after converting a first-down late in the fourth quarter. He returned, however after one play. Couldn’t tell what the injury was, but he handed off to LeShun Daniels Jr., who did this.

• Daniels finished with 195 yards and three touchdowns. That was Iowa’s fourth touchdown drive of 75 yards or more in this contest.
  • I’m going to write the recap and other stuff. Thanks so much for sticking with us tonight, we love you guys. Here are the stats.

Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 10.26.33 PM