UI denizens rally to support black Missouri students

UI students stand together for a group photo on the steps of the Old Capitol building during a protest in solidarity in Iowa City on Wednesday. Students gathered in reaction to alleged racially driven incidents on the University of Mizzou’s campus. (The Daily Iowan/Brooklynn Kascel)

Students hold demonstration for University of Missouri.

By KayLynn Harris

Students on campus are showing their peers in Missouri they are not alone.

More than 100 University of Iowa students and community members gathered on the Pentacrest Wednesday afternoon wearing all black to show solidarity with students at the University of Missouri in light of racial tension and incidents on the Columbia campus.

“We felt the need to show that we stand in solidarity with those at the University of Missouri because as black students … our experiences are shared,” organizer Matthew Bruce said. “Coming together gives a sense [of] unity to the other students that are suffering … we are showing them we care, we are their keeper and they matter.”

For months, black student organizations at Missouri issued numerous complaints about racist incidents and about then-President Tim Wolfe concerning how he handled racism on campus. Frustrated with a perceived lack of response by university officials, Missouri graduate student Jonathan Butler began a hunger strike, saying he wouldn’t eat until Wolfe resigned.

The Columbia university’s black activist group #ConcernedStudent1950 began a series of protests demanding Wolfe’s resignation, and last week, a number of football players announced they would not practice or play in any games until the president was removed from office. This combination of action prompted Wolfe’s formal resignation Monday.

Soon after the announcement, threats against the black students appeared on the anonymous message app YikYak. Many black students fled the campus, fearing for their safety. Authorities issued charges against a suspect Wednesday morning.

When hearing of the incidents, UI students felt the need to organize to support the black students at Missouri, resulting in the Wednesday demonstration in Iowa City.

Throughout the event, students discussed the events occurring in Missouri as well as possible solutions. Students and a few faculty members of all backgrounds gathered in support. Students spread their message through social media with the hashtag #BlackoutForMizzou.

Colleges across the country held similar events.

UI junior Kierra Rogers said she was glad to join the UI campus demonstration.

“I am so proud to be a part of this,” she said. “I look around, and I’m proud of the unity we achieved.”

Around a year ago, controversy burst on the UI campus over a statue placed by visiting artist Serhat Tanyolacar that depicted a figure in a Ku Klux Klan robe made of newspaper articles depicting racial tension and violence. Many students on campus said they felt offended and terrorized by the piece, while the artist said he was trying to draw attention to racial issues.

UI freshman Kristin Herndon said intolerance is pervasive against black students on college campuses.

“It is shameful that black students are experiencing so much racial intolerance,” she said. “These students are trying to obtain a higher education and better themselves, but how can they do that when they feel unsafe and unwanted on campus?”