Cultural ‬showcase flashes talent

By Cassandra Santiago

The Celebrating Cultural Diversity Festival is out. The Cultural Showcase is in.

The Campus Activities Board will host its third-annual cultural shindig at 9 p.m. in the IMU Second-Floor Ballroom. Despite many similar showcases, CAB Cultural Director Laura Wang said its focus is not differentiation but the performances.

“I don’t know that we have tried to find a way, like, ‘How can we be different from the rest?’ ” she said. “How do we bring different groups of people together and do it in really fun ways and in a way anyone can appreciate? Anyone can appreciate art, and music, and dance.”    

The deadline to submit an application summarizing the performance was Oct. 30. Although no performance experience is required, Wang said most of tonight’s performers have graced stages before.

“We’re not here to say ‘No, your performance isn’t good enough,’ we just want to see students perform,” Wang said.

But tonight’s performers are sure to bring their A game; this year’s cultural showcase will double as a competition. Fourteen student organizations and individuals will compete for first-, second-, and third-place titles and prizes. First- and second-place organizations will win $500 and $300, respectively. One first-place student will win a tablet.

In an effort to create a more interactive environment, Wang’s committee has also included an audience favorite, who will win a gift basket. The winning criteria will be based on representation of culture, quality of performance, complexity of performance, and “Wow” factor. Former Miss Iowa 2014 and senior Aly Olson is the only student judge in the set of three.

“I think a lot of people who don’t know Iowa would paint us all one color, but we know that there’s a lot more going on here than that,” she said. “I think this is a really good opportunity for us to learn something and also to celebrate everyone who’s here and who’s contributing to this community.”

One longtime student organization, the UI Breakers, led by President Charles Truong, is eager to display its contribution. It is a collective group of hip-hop dancers ranging in age from high school to current UI students and alumni.

“I hope people will see the differences in every member,” Truong said. “I hope that people will acknowledge what real hip-hop is; it’s people showing what they’re made of, how they dance, how they express themselves, what their passion is. And I would just love for people to appreciate what we do, appreciate what real hip-hop culture is.”

Audience members will get the opportunity to show written love at the performers’ appreciation table. The free event will also serve refreshments after the show, when attendees can stick around and meet performers.

“I think you will inherently learn something new if you go, but then, you also get to feel this sense of community because you’re helping out your classmates and other student organizations on campus,” Wang said.

What: Cultural Showcase
When: 9 p.m. today
Where: IMU Second-Floor Ballroom
Admission: Free