Don’t vegetate, live & grow

Tonight, California rapper Casey Veggies will visit Iowa City to promote his new album, Live & Grow. While he’s on tour around the country, his hit single “Tied Up” can be heard on the radio. His new album features artists Ty Dolla $ign, Tyler, the Creator, and more. In the past, Veggies has worked with such artists as Mac Miller, Dom Kennedy, and YG. Veggies spoke to The Daily Iowan about his upcoming performance, his album, and more.

DI: You’ve described the album as a “West Coast, feel good” album for young kids like yourself. What do you mean by that?
Casey Veggies: I just feel like it’s a West Coast culturally generated album. I mean a lot of the vibes that come from it is real. It’s West Coast driven, you know. I just feel we got a different sound, different bounce, you know. A lot of people hear records that I did on this album, and they get a real West Coast influence from me. Like “Actin’ Up” which is a real West Coast, Snoop Dogg type of vibe.

DI:What do you want listeners to take away from it?
Casey Veggies: I just want them to take away the fact that you can do something different and stand out. Follow your heart, you know? Follow your dreams, be true to your sound, be true to yourself. I just want them to get inspiration from me.

DI: Do you have a go-to spot to write your music?
Casey Veggies: Not really, I just try to catch vibes. Sometimes, it’s better to be by myself, sometimes I like writing when I’m with my friends and out with my cousins and just have fun in the studio. It all depends on what type of song it is.

DI: How do you get in that state of mind?
Casey Veggies: I think you just have to zone out, let the vibes come to you, let the words come to you. Just zone out to the beat. Whatever that beat makes you feel, let it come out.

DI: What is the difference between performing somewhere like Iowa City and performing at home in California?
Casey Veggies: It’s a different type of crowd, different vibes. It’s definitely dope fans, dope people, you know, just different people into different things. I got a lot of energy every time I come out to Iowa, they show me a lot of love. They just have a good time and enjoy the music.

DI: You used to go by Custom, now by Casey Veggies. Where’d these names come from? Why’d you make the switch?
Casey Veggies: My name was initially Custom. I never really put out music under that name, I only put out one song under that name. But yeah, I changed my name. My name was originally Casey, that’s my real name. We came out with this brand called Peas & Carrots, and I just decided to change my name to Casey Veggies. It just seemed something different, something intriguing. And obviously veggies are good for you.

DI: “Tied Up” is your biggest hit so far, so a couple questions for fans of that song. Where did you and DeJ Loaf meet, and what was it like working with her?
Casey Veggies: We met not long before we did the record. We didn’t do the record in the same studio together, but we had met before that and just vibed out. We had talked about doing some music, and it’s pretty coincidental that the first record we did together was actually a successful record.

DI: Did you feel it was going to be a big success when creating it?
Casey Veggies: That record was formatted to be something big for the radio, something big for the ladies, you know what I’m saying. I heard it, and at first I was iffy on the record, and I didn’t want to do it, because I just thought it was something so different from me and my sound. A lot of people talked me into it; they said it was a dope record. And I thought it was dope, too, but I’m just so picky when it comes to the track and sound. But with this one, it was one of those songs I had to grow into, and that’s what I love about it.

MUSIC
Who: Casey Veggies
When: 7 p.m. today
Where: Blue Moose, 211 Iowa