Iowa defense bends, doesn’t break

The Hawks gave up ground at times on Nov. 7, but they did enough to keep the Hoosier passing game in check.

By Charlie Green

BLOOMINGTON, Indiana — Hoosier quarterback Nate Sudfeld entered the Nov. 7 game against Iowa leading the Big Ten in passing, averaging more than 290 yards per game. He had completed more than 60 percent of his passes.

However, No. 9 Iowa’s 35-27 vistory over the Hoosiers was a different story. Sudfeld could only put together patches of rhythm in Indiana’s passing game, finishing 16-of-37 for 180 yards, with 1 touchdown and 1 interception.

For the most part, it was a frustrating day for the Hoosier senior.
“We never really got a rhythm,” Sudfeld said. “We were not as balanced as I would have liked to be. We were running the ball very well but did not make enough plays in the passing game.

But the Hawks’ second-ranked conference run defense was tested in the game as much as it has been all year. Alabama-Birmingham transfer Jordan Howard showed exactly why he belongs in the conversation for the best backs in the conference — and perhaps the country.

Touchdown runs of 37 and 29 yards displayed his balance and explosion, while exposing containment issues and poor execution on the back end of Iowa’s defense.

Howard had a monster day, finishing with 174 yards on 22 carries. That wasn’t enough to break the Hawkeyes defensively.

“In the first half, Indiana came out and made some plays,” safety Jordan Lomax said. “So in the second half, we were able to correct our mistakes, and we just knew we had to let it rip.”

After the Hoosiers kicked a field goal to put them 1 point behind Iowa, 21-20, early in the fourth quarter, the Hawkeyes clamped down. The next Indiana drive resulted in a three-and-out, capped with a sack of Sudfeld by linebackers Ben Niemann and Bo Bower for a 7-yard loss.

By the next time Indiana had the ball, it trailed by 8, and on first down from his own 40 Sudfeld took a shot deep down the sideline. Iowa cornerback Desmond King, sitting back in a deep zone, saw it coming the whole way and came down with his eighth pick of the season — tying a school record.

In the Hoosiers’ next drive, they faced a 15-point deficit. The offense went 76 yards on 10 plays for a touchdown, bringing the Indiana back within 8. But it was too late, and a failed onside-kick attempt gave the Hawkeyes the ball back for good.

It wasn’t a dominating performance by any means. But Indiana has put up yards and points on everyone in 2015, including No. 3 Ohio State and No. 7 Michigan State. The Hawkeyes’ defense did enough to hold them in check and let the offense do the rest — particularly against the pass.

“You have to look at our corners really for that, corners and safeties,” linebacker Cole Fisher said. “They were shutting it down pretty well and really limiting the big plays honestly.”

But, a solid win behind them, one player in particular was not happy with the results. The Hawkeyes came in giving up 85 rush yards per game but surrendered 224 to the Hoosiers.

For sophomore safety Miles Taylor, who missed time with a first-half knee injury, it wasn’t an outing he’ll likely feel good about.

“I don’t really think we kept them in check,” Taylor said. “We messed up on a lot of things.

“They’re a really good offense, but we still didn’t play our best defense. And we have a lot to improve on.”

Follow @charlsgreen on Twitter for Iowa football news, updates, and analysis.