HALFTIME: Iowa 21, Indiana 17

At halftime, the Iowa football team leads Indiana, 21-17.

By Danny Payne

BLOOMINGTON, Indiana — Well, that was quick. Because of lots of offensive fun, that was one of the quickest halves of football I’ve ever watched. I’ll try to get to all the highlights here.

• On the opening drive, the delay draw for Akrum Wadley dialed up by Greg Davis was a great call. It totally threw the Hoosiers off guard, and Wadley went 65 yards virtually untouched.
  • Josey Jewell, have a day. This guy is the real deal, folks. He has 7 tackles in the half (5 solo), and I wouldn’t be surprised if that number doubles by the end of the game.

https://twitter.com/PAngererUSA/status/663099038867324932

• Take that as you will.
  • This is the best C.J. Beathard has looked since his injury. A lot of that is because Iowa’s offensive line is doing a nice job in pass pro, but Beathard actually looks comfortable out there. He’s 10-of-15 for 115 yards and a rushing touchdown.
  • Indiana’s average starting field position is its own 29. On scoring drives, it has started at the Indiana 25, Indiana 43, and Indiana 30. Iowa has to do a better job in the second half controlling that department.
  • Iowa had only given up one rushing touchdown coming into this game. Jordan Howard has two on 116 yards and nine carries.
  • Cole Fisher left for a period going through concussion protocol. He’s back out there. Miles Taylor has also missed some time on defense. He’s limping and won’t return, according to Iowa radio.

• Penalties have played a role. Before Iowa punted with around 5:45 remaining, two first-downs were negated due to holding penalties on Adam Cox and Boone Myers. Iowa punted, Indiana started its own 30 and scored six plays and 1:36 later.
  • Expect the Hoosiers to go up-tempo, as they did on the aforementioned drive; Iowa didn’t seem to have an answer for that. This tweet from our friend HGF sums it up.

• T.J. Simmons was ejected for a targeting penalty. Tevaun Smith dropped a pass, and Simmons hit him helmet-to-helmet. Regardless of your opinion on that rule, it was as obvious as it gets. Smith was down for a while; hope he’s OK.
  • On the following play, Beathard hit Jerminic Smith in the arm. Had Smith been paying attention, it would’ve been an easy 6.
  • Iowa did manage to score on that drive, however. Good execution all around. Followed by the realization Beathard can dunk (probably).

https://twitter.com/Nate_Allbomb/status/663116135919845377

STATS

Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 4.10.53 PM