Eating (un)healthily in college

Keith Reed

It is widely known that the “Freshman 15” is something of a myth. But in my case, it was true. I had a paid U-Bill and an unlimited meal plan; the world was my oyster. I ate candy, and most times I would not eat any food of substance. My friends brought up the fact that I ate very unhealthily and this startled me, because I did not think that way. 

According to a study done by Washington University in St. Louis, researchers confirm that most students do gain weight in college. Almost 800 students were recruited for the initial study, and almost 300 returned to follow up with the study after sophomore year. Approximately 70 percent of the returning students had gained weight. Less than the aforementioned “Freshman 15,” around nine pounds to be exact. The actual reason that the weight was gained is unknown, but maybe other factors could make up for it. Many of the students didn’t really alter their eating habits during the two years. The students continued making poor food choices and lacked physical activity throughout the two years of the study.

The World Health Organization recently released a Q&A on the consumption of red meat and processed meats having a positive association with developing colorectal cancer. The article stresses the fact that consumers have to pay attention to what it going into their bodies. This does not mean completely cutting out meats of this nature. It means that, as a society, we should care about what we put into our body. As students, we should be aware that there are facilities that can help create meal plans and exercise regimens. Student Health & Wellness is a great resource on campus that can help with your health needs. 

Drinking can also contribute to the increase of the weight of in college students. Alcohol, similar to junk food, has a high caloric value. College students have a tendency to binge drink on the weekends and that wreaks havoc on student’s mid-waistlines. Combining both binge drinking and eating frivolously can account for the seeming rise in weight. A Monday New York Times article states that death rates are rising for middle-age white Americans, according to an analysis of data from the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention and other sources. The rise in the death rate is not due to heart disease and diabetes, which are still prevalent in other communities. The reason for the increase can be seen in the rise of epidemics such as suicide, substance abuse, alcoholic liver disease, and overdoses on heroin and prescription medicine. However, people who participated in the study that have a college education had death rates 22 percent lower than those who only had a high school education.

Excessively eating and binge drinking can lead to weight gain and heart disease. If one partakes in such activities, attention should be paid, because overdoing it can cause problems. Moderation is key, and calorie counting could help.