Letters to the Editor

Vote Throgmorton, Thomas, Cole, & Taylor for a just, healthy, sustainable community

Over the last three years I have been closely observing the City Council and Planning and Zoning Commission. Councilor Jim Throgmorton and John Thomas have consistently shown themselves to be fair-minded individuals who actively seek input and collaboration from within the broader community, who look out for the less fortunate, and who will work toward just, healthy community. Both Throgmorton and Thomas have focused on transparency, actively helping people navigate the governmental process, whether or not those people agreed with them in terms of the issues. They listened carefully to the community input with an open mind. Throgmorton and Rockne Cole have demonstrated an interest in using taxpayer money effectively for the greatest common good. Pauline Taylor has a history in the SEIU and advocacy for underserved groups.

I envision a city government that provides regulations and incentives to support those things that we as individuals are unable to do for ourselves but together can accomplish for the common good: a safe water supply, a healthy, walk-able community with adequate public transportation, parks and green spaces, a clean environment. I want a city government that actively looks out for those individuals who are disadvantaged in some way: affordable housing, care for the elderly and very young, provision of a living wage. I seek councilors who will stand up for the common people. I will vote for Throgmorton, Thomas, Cole, and Taylor in the Nov. 3 election. I encourage you to do the same.

Amanda Owen Van Horne

Vote Tim Conroy, the right person for the job

In the Nov. 3 City Council election, I will vote for Tim Conroy because he is the right person for the job.

Having grown up in Iowa City, Tim has a great appreciation for the history and values of Iowa City and a deeply rooted concern for and optimistic vision of its future. He understands the needs of our community with regard to creating more affordable housing, continuing sensible economic development, supporting public transit, and enhancing other public and social services.

Tim has a deep interest in and a great understanding of the cultural importance and economic potential of the UI School of Music and the UI Museum of Art relocating downtown … and how Iowa City’s partnerships with the UI, as well as many other cultural organizations, can enhance the music, art, and cultural scene in our community to the benefit of all.

Tim is a very thoughtful, respectful, and energetic young man. He is a good listener, welcomes feedback, and is analytical and objective in his decision making. He will be fair and balanced in serving all of the citizens of our wonderful community. He has much to contribute to the many conversations about the future development of all of Iowa City.

I will cast my vote for Tim Conroy and I encourage you to do the same.

Buffie Tucke

individuals

I support the idea that thoughtful choices are better than a formulaic approach to making important decisions. With that in mind, for the City Council, I recommend retaining Jim Throgmorton, who, based on his scholarship and service, understands urban-planning ramifications better than any member past or present. In addition, we need voices for working-class Iowa Citians and who better than Pauline Taylor, a UI hospital nurse who worked relentlessly for the right to organize and won.

Then we need a growth perspective that has been informed by serving on the Planning and Zoning Commission such as John Thomas brings. Finally, we need a person who understands that our city is better when we consider all of our diverse residents’ needs and works toward them, and that is Rockne Cole. In my experience, each is collaborative and takes a reasoned approach. Some may be quick to dismiss these individuals as a “slate,” which misses the main point. I’d suggest that we vote for each of them for what, individually, each brings and will make our vibrant, progressive city even better

Garry Klein

Council

Today, citizens of all Iowa’s cities vote for city elected officials. As an Iowa City resident I would like to make a recommendation to vote for Pauline Taylor for City Council.

Don’t be confused by the difference between at-large races and district races on your ballot. All voters vote on both the at-large and district races. The only difference is in residency requirements of the candidates to make sure all areas of the city are represented by at least one councilor. The at-large candidates can live anywhere in the city, while the district candidates must reside in the district from which they are running. The bottom line is there are eight candidates, and each voter can vote for up to four of them. The heading for each section of the ballot indicates how many you can vote for in that section.

Two of the eight candidates on the ballot are women, and I would like to call your attention to the qualifications of one of the two, Pauline Taylor. Pauline has lived in Iowa City for 41 years and raised her family here. She graduated from the University of Iowa College of Nursing and is a registered nurse. Her daughter attended Iowa City schools and also graduated from the University of Iowa. Pauline has worked as a staff nurse at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics for 41 years. She is well-grounded in the Iowa City, UI, and UIHC cultures of our community. She is also a member of the Iowa City Senior Center.

Pauline has been awarded with the recognition of excellence and has been honored to be asked by her peers to represent them in both local and statewide capacities. She served on the Iowa Board of Nursing for nine years. She served her fellow nurses as a member of her local union, was a Delegate and Trustee of the Iowa City Federation of Labor, and was also the recipient of the Iowa City Labor Federation 2013 Lifetime Achievement Award.

With her extensive networking and links to the Iowa City area and the university, it is not surprising that it was Pauline who candidate Barack Obama chose to introduce him when he unveiled his flagship health-care policy at the UIHC during the ramp up to the Iowa 2008 caucuses.

There couldn’t be a nicer person than Pauline. She is friendly and approachable. You can count on her to care about and listen to your concerns. She has the knowledge, interpersonal skills, ability, and will have the respect of her peers to work with them and represent you well on the council.

You will find Pauline in the District A section of your ballot, but as explained above, every Iowa City voter can vote for her. I hope you will join me in casting one of your four votes for Pauline Taylor by voting early or today in your regular polling place, from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Tom Slockett

A progressive vision is not a threat

Mayor Matt Hayek has characterized Councilor Jim Throgmorton as a micromanager who, if re-elected, would focus on pet projects. Does this sound like the type of leadership you would expect from a nationally recognized professor of urban planning? It is not the man I’ve come to know and whose council term I’ve followed. Throgmorton’s “pet projects” include affordable housing, racial justice, environmental sustainability, better use of TIF, and vibrant, resilient neighborhoods—exactly what Iowa City needs more of.

A Press-Citizen editorial characterized candidate Rockne Cole as adversarial and implied he would not get along with others on the council. This also does not jibe with the man I know. A more positive person you’ll never meet — a kind, compassionate listener who is always considerate and respectful of those who disagree with him. And what’s wrong with standing up for what he believes in? Strengthening local businesses, improving walkability/bikeability, bringing more voices to the table, and growing our tax base in a sustainable way, without selling our city’s soul to the highest bidder — all worthy of vigorous debate.

A progressive vision for a more just, inclusive city is not a threat. More opportunity for all, sustainable, context-sensitive development, and environmental responsibility will make our city more economically resilient and more attractive to new businesses and potential residents. A vote for Throgmorton and Cole, as well as other truly progressive candidates in the Council race, would be a step toward that future.

Karen Nichols

City treasure

Jim Throgmorton is an Iowa City treasure. We are fortunate that he is willing to invest his time and effort in serving another term on the Iowa City Council. Having taught urban and regional planning at the University of Iowa for 24 years, his expertise and involvement in various organizations and communities in the Iowa City and university communities make him an invaluable asset for citizens and the city staff alike.

His ties to Iowa City as a 29-year resident and his extensive travel throughout the U.S. and Europe complement each other and combine to represent a unique asset and perspective. This serves us well, benefiting the day-to-day operation of our city as well as an informed basis for creative planning for an even better future for our highly ranked, rated, and praised culturally rich environment. Jim makes an invaluable contribution as he assists us in recognizing that the tough problems faced by all cities also exist here and leads us to recognize them and struggle along with him to make improvements in economic inequality, racial disparities, and equity, affordable housing, the justice system, and the environment.

Time is getting short, but you can still vote on today from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. at your regular Election Day precinct polling place.

Few people have the gifts to offer that Jim has accumulated, and even fewer are willing to put them to work so energetically, effectively, openly, and transparently through local government service as an elected official. I hope you will join with me in casting one of your four votes for Jim Throgmorton for City Council. Jim is running for an at-large position, on the section of the ballot for which you can vote for no more than two candidates.

Tom Slockett

Tim Conroy will bring a fresh look to Iowa City

Iowa City needs to take a careful look at itself, with eyes that are capable of shaping a future for its economy.

Tim Conroy will bring a fresh look at that remarkable potential.

Indeed, our future is promising. We are poised on the edge of a renaissance in the arts, as well as in the tech world. The medical research that goes on here every day is stunning. Hancher Auditorium will open a brilliant, iconic building next year, and the UI Voxman Music Building and the UI Museum of Art are soon to follow.

Building on the current success of the Englert, FilmScene, and Riverside Theater, and throw in the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, the International Writing Program, the UNESCO City of Literature, and we’re off and running.

We are reminded of the Zen saying: “Leap and the net will appear.”

Our status will no longer be like “Brigadoon,” emerging from the mists every now and then, but rather a steadier presence for the arts and technical innovation on a world-class level. Iowa City will continue to grow in its attractiveness to students, entrepreneurs, and retirees.

Tim Conroy knows more about the arts than all the City Council candidates combined. He is well-aware of the importance of developing our community in a way that preserves and builds on our community’s history.

Tim gets it. So vote for him.

Wallace and Karen Chappell

WE need Taylor, Cole on the council

Elect Pauline Taylor and Rockne Cole to City Council for balance. They will listen to the concerns of those living or working/shopping in the neighborhoods, not just to the voices of downtown. Mayor Matt Hayek brags about the progress he and his chosen slate have bestowed on the neighborhoods of Towncrest and South Side.

Towncrest improvements caused more havoc than improvement. The only bus shelter on the outgoing Towncrest route was removed. William Street, where the TIF-supported building occurred, is still too narrow to allow the Towncrest bus to make a right off Muscatine when another vehicle is at the corner — causing traffic jams and/or delays. I pointed this out in the council prior to construction to no avail. The buildings are built, most unoccupied — the street is still too narrow — and Hayek is taking credit as well he should.

South Side improvements are a disaster in waiting. The Mall route stop across from Kirkwood College was moved from Deforest Street down one block too near Sycamore and Lower Muscatine Road intersection — students are caught between two sets of traffic lights. They’re expected to cross over at Deforest — no crossing lights — against Kirkwood’s students/visitors turning out the parking lot onto Lower Muscatine. Most students obey human nature — cross directly in front of the bus dodging oncoming traffic. This situation is a homicide in waiting. I have notified the council of this situation to no avail.
Mary Gravitt