Women runners finish 10th at Big Tens

Brooklynn Kascel
The Iowa Women’s Cross Country team begin their 3k on Friday, Sep. 4, at the Ashton Cross Country Course in Iowa City, Iowa.

Iowa finished 10th among 14 teams at the Big Ten Championships on Sunday. Sophomore Madison Waymire finished as the top Hawk runner, placing 32nd with a 6K time of (21:01.8). Her time is the 10th-fastest time school history.

Waymire has placed as Iowa’s top runner in every competition this season.

“It was a really good race and fast course with great competition,” Waymire said in a release. “Overall, I think it was a fairly good race for me and the Hawks.”

Penn State won the event, placing three runners in the top nine. The Nittany Lions were led by senior Tori Gerlach with a time of (20:04.9). Gerlach finished fourth, followed by teammates Elizabeth Chikotas (sixth) and Jillian Hunsberger (ninth). The championship marks the second time Penn State has won the event.

Individually, Michigan junior Erin Finn won her second career Big Ten title with a 6K time of 19:44.9. Finn helped the Wolverines take home second place.

Michigan State took third place, led by junior Alexis Wiersma. She finished second(19:49.9), and Alyssa Schneider of Illinois completed the top three, clocking a time of 19:58.6.

As for the Hawkeyes, junior Tess Wilberding finished 79th with a time of 22:06.0, freshman Andrea Shine 82nd (22:11.6), junior Carolyn Newhouse 83rd (22:14.7), and sophomore Alana Jones rounded out the Hawkeyes top five group finishing 84th (22:17.2).

Even with the Hawkeyes with finishing 10th, they are still optimistic.

After another excellent performance, Waymire is believes that she can improve for the next competition.

“Coming off a [personal record] is always nice, and going into regionals definitely gives me more confidence, and I know there’s a lot more to give out there,” Waymire said in a release.

The Hawkeyes will try to continue to improve as the season comes to a close. The Hawks will travel to Lawrence, Kansas, for the Midwest Regional on Nov.13.
— by Connor Sindberg