Letters to the editor

A council ‘slate’ for all

My partner, Larry Fitzpatrick, and I spent the better part of October on a fall bike tour. We spent more time off-line than on.

When we were able to “connect” with news of the City Council, it was hard to read how the outgoing mayor and incumbents characterized candidates who oppose the status quo. It’s too tedious to repeat any of what went on, but these potshots and fear-mongering came from people who should know better.

This “if you’re not with us, you’re against us” attitude is turning downtown into a chrome and glass mecca. Our business owners worked hard to survive the Walmartization of small-town America; it is time to harness that attitude to strengthen OUR city for ALL residents. Iowa City is more than a car-centric downtown, public transportation is a social equity issue, and economic development isn’t just running out small businesses to erect a shiny new glass tower with expensive real estate above and empty storefronts at ground level.

The destruction of older commercial buildings mean that it is rare for a non-bar business to start up in downtown Iowa City. This attitude allowed a property owner without an approved plan to begin to displace 10 small businesses on Dubuque Street. If they survive, these small businesses may have to leave the area.

We have an abundance of good candidates this election. I support Jim Throgmorton and Rockne Cole in the at-large race, John Thomas in District C, and Pauline Taylor in District A.

Anne Duggan

Thomas for council

I am excited to see Iowa City grow. I believe how we grow to be vitally important to the future quality of our city. In my opinion, we are in real danger of losing many of these qualities that make Iowa City the town and city we love.

I encourage the election of John Thomas to the City Council District C. His understanding of where we currently stand, his vision of where we might go, and his commitment to help us arrive are, in my opinion, exemplary, and necessary.

John will need help. Please support Jim Throgmorton, Pauline Taylor, and Rockne Cole in their bids for Council. It is my hope we craft a city as fine as the one we have.

John Shaw

For sustainability, vote Three Ts and a Rock

Change can be easy if we start small. If you believe in recycling; reusing; reducing; then you will want to vote this November 3.

The positive impact of your vote could be one of the biggest turning points for a beautiful, sustainable Iowa City. There are four CORE candidates whose visions will turn Iowa City’s future towards sustainable economic growth including innovative technologies for transportation, clean air and water.

By joining the ranks of Sweden, which is committed to becoming fossil-fuel free, Melbourne, which is trying to be free by the year 2020, and Ames, Iowa, which voted to restrict building heights to 11 stories, above which energy consumption increases greatly, Iowa City will remain an attractive place to raise healthy children, start businesses and retire.

Iowa City could become a true bike friendly and walkable city, further contributing to a sustainable future. Smart growth is smart long-term economic growth: If people want to live in Iowa City because they can bike to work, walk through parks and breathe clean air, then we will continue to have unlimited economic opportunities.

Please vote for sustainability this November 3 by voting for three Ts and a Rock: John Thomas, Jim Throgmorton, Pauline Taylor and Rockne Cole.

In 2013, only 22% of the population voted in Iowa City’s City Election. Take a friend to vote who wouldn’t without you — this simple gesture could double the number of voters.

Jiyun Park