Five Things We Learned: Iowa-Maryland

C.J. Beathard is clearly not at 100 percent, and Desmond King’s hot streak continues.

By Charlie Green

Well, Iowa is 8-0, and stayed at No. 10 in the AP rankings. Check out five things we learned from the Hawks’ 31-15 win over Maryland Oct. 31.

C.J. Beathard is not at full health

Beathard’s ability to extend plays with his feet is clearly hampered. The win over Maryland showed two weeks since his last game, the Hawkeye signal caller is still feeling pain or  at the very least — extreme discomfort.

After the game, Beathard told reporters he was somewhere in 80-90 percent health range, but that did not appear to be the case. His effectiveness rolling out and escaping pressure — things that made him so good early in the year — look extremely limited at this point.

What’s more, the junior isn’t going down feet first when he does tuck and run. Any pocket passer who runs the ball as much as Beathard has (57 times this season), is going to draw concerns as hits accumulate.

Part of the issue stems from a strong competitive spirit. He doesn’t want to go down or out of bounds when he feels he can pick up yards as a runner.

Now, the Hawkeyes are seeing the ugly side of a risky approach to the position.

Desmond King’s résumé is building

King does just about everything for this team, adding a defensive touchdown to his already-standout 2015 season in the win over Maryland.

The fourth-quarter pick six, on a rushed throw from Terrapin quarterback Perry Hills, was thrown right into his arms. But King has seemed to be in the right spot at the right time throughout the year which cannot be a coincidence. Exceptional ball skills allow him to make teams pay for mistakes. And the 88 yards he scampered to the end zone show that his speed is nothing to scoff at.

The interception was his seventh of 2015 — tying him for the most in the country. But the corner has also displayed physicality at the position and returns punts and kicks as well.

His high number of picks has to have him on the radar of NFL front offices, but his versatility is just as impressive. Though he has plenty of room to improve, he also can do a little bit of everything — an asset at a premium at the next level.

There are (potential) running game woes

Iowa’s offense struggled immensely in the second half against the Terps after taking a 21-0 lead into the locker room at halftime.

It doesn’t help that the pass game isn’t incredibly formidable at this point, but the lack of production in the run department could be a slight concern.

After gashing Maryland in the first half, Akrum Wadley and LeShun Daniels Jr. were held in check in the last two quarters.

Facing a team that had previously given up over 170 rush yards per game, Iowa’s 110 is slightly disappointing considering how well they were running the ball to start Big Ten play.

Iowa’s pass defense ready for the Hoosiers

Granted, Perry Hills appears to have no business playing quarterback in the Big Ten, but Iowa’s pass defense looked great against him.

The junior threw for just 74 yards along with three interceptions in Iowa City. Given the fact the Hawkeyes are going against one of the better quarterbacks in the Big Ten Saturday in Indiana’s Nate Sudfeld, this could be a sign they’re ready for the challenge.

Sudfeld leads the conference with 292.7 yards per game through the air, and has tossed 14 touchdowns compared to just four interceptions.

On Oct. 31, Maryland’s leading receiver, Taivon Jacobs, had just three catches for 18 yards. That’s how to make a team one-dimensional.

Solid win may show legitimacy

Overall, the Maryland game was the most in control the Hawkeyes looked over a power-five tem outside of the Northwestern blowout — keeping them at No. 10 in the most recent AP Poll.

Given the perceived softness of the team’s remaining schedule, the more dominating Iowa looks the better. Without a single ranked team remaining in its path, winning and winning big will serve to legitimize this group going forward.

Head coach Kirk Ferentz might not admit it, but especially since Pittsburgh dropped out of the rankings after losing to North Carolina Oct. 29, some voters might not see the Hawks simply winning as enough to buy in.

Follow @CharlsGreen on Twitter for Iowa football news, updates, and analysis.