Field hockey faces tough Terrapins

Iowa forward Mallory Lefkowitz and Virginia back Kelsey LeBlanc look towards the ball at Grant Field on Thursday, Sept. 4, 2014. The Hawkeyes beat the Cavaliers, 4-3. (The Daily Iowan/John Theulen)

Iowa field hockey will compete in its last game of the regular season at Grant Field.

By Mario Williams

The Iowa football and volleyball teams won’t be the only Hawkeyes competing against Maryland this Halloween weekend. The Iowa field-hockey team will also welcome the No. 6 Terrapins to Iowa City.

However, these particular Hawkeyes’ story is a bit different from the others’. The matchup against a fierce program such as Maryland marks the squad’s last home game of the season and last game of the regular season, and it will determine whom the Hawks will play in the Big Ten Tournament.

The pressure is on, to say the least. The Hawks sit at 2-5 in conference play while Maryland is 7-0. It’s clear that the Hawks haven’t had much success against opponents in the Big Ten, but they hope they can change that.

“With only two wins in the Big Ten, adding one this weekend would be huge,” junior Stephanie Norlander said. “We just have to play a really good game as a team, we need to outlet the ball, stick to our speed, and stop them in transition.”

Maryland is first in the conference along with being ranked sixth in the coaches’ poll. In addition, this is the Terps’ second year in the Big Ten, and last year, they were conference champs.

They have also won their last seven of 11 national championships. Maryland is definitely a threat, and this may be Iowa’s toughest game thus far this season.

Iowa head coach Lisa Cellucci says there is nothing surprising about the Terrapins’ success.

“We were really excited to add them to the Big Ten, because it helps our RPI to play a quality opponent,” she said. “They’re a great addition to the Big Ten.”

The Terrapins dominate the Big Ten on both ends of the field and statistically. They lead in shots (388), points (186), goals (62), and assists (62).

Its roster comprises 25 athletes, 12 of whom are underclassmen. The Hawkeyes’ roster contains 19 athletes, 12 of whom are also underclassmen. One of Iowa’s biggest struggles this season has been its lack of depth, and this matchup demonstrates that.

Cellucci noted that the Hawks’ lack of depth and defending Maryland might be a huge challenge. The second-year head coach plans on using different strategies to make the field smaller.

“They have really quality players,” Cellucci said. “Everyone is going to have to show up and have her ‘A’ game. If we show up and play, we should be very competitive.”

The game against Maryland also marks the team’s Senior Day. The Hawks will recognize two of their three seniors, Isabella Licciardello and Liz Leh.

With losing a number of players from last season and struggling in Big Ten play, Leh wants to put everything into the team’s last regular-season game of the season.

“Yes, it’s Senior Day, but it’s a really big game for us in the Big Ten,” Leh said. “This season hasn’t been what anyone has wanted on this team, it’s not what we planned, but we’re still moving forward and hoping to make something out of it.”