Letters to the editor

Rick Dobyns for council

I am writing to support Councilor Rick Dobyn’s bid for a second term on the City Council representing District A. I have worked with Rick in a variety of settings and find him to be a person of integrity, compassion, fairness, and common sense.His concern for the marginalized people of Iowa City and support for practical ways of addressing issues affecting them, such as affordable housing in all areas of the city, is central to the well-being of our whole community. Rick seeks to act with fiscal responsibility and at the same time to provide for the planned growth that is essential to our viability and strength as a community. He is future-oriented while also valuing the best in our common history. I have no doubt that Rick will continue to work hard on the key issues that confront us while communicating openly with residents, city staff and neighboring governing bodies. Please vote for Rick Dobyns on Tuesday, November 3, and guarantee his continuing strong service to Iowa City.

Rev. Mark W. Martin

John Thomas and Jim Throgmorton for council

Anyone who runs for City Council should be commended for even considering the commitment. How lucky we are to have such a nice pool of people running to give their energy and time to the city. What stands out to me though are those who have experience with how a city runs behind the scenes and also the foresight to consider the impact of the decisions of City Council. I have a young family, and it matters greatly to me that my sons are raised in the place that takes its constituents into account. A place that is designed for supporting a healthy environment.

I believe that John Thomas and Jim Throgmorton are choices for City Council who have the foresight to consider the impact of decisions on the future generations of Iowa City. I am uncomfortable with a council that thinks $200,000 one-bedroom apartments offer affordable housing. I am weary of a council that places market value higher than long term sustainability. I’m voting for Thomas because I am voting for our neighborhoods, because I am voting for a downtown that is planned with purpose. Because I am voting for the education of my children and existence of parks and healthy communities. Because I am voting for Iowa City.

Jackie Biger

Conroy for council

We have lived in Iowa City for 53 years and have witnessed many positive changes to our great community over the years; thanks to many previous councilors. We believe we need young, intelligent people to serve on the council as they represent the future of Iowa City while respecting and honoring its historical past.

Tim Conroy has an understanding of Iowa City and its challenges, problems and opportunities well beyond his years. His knowledge of neighborhoods; his respect for historical precedent; his commitment to social issues, and his reasoned approach to new growth will make him a hardworking and intelligent councilperson, working for the common good of all Iowa City citizens.

We strongly encourage you to support Tim Conroy for City Council.

Dick and Joyce Summerwill

Rick Dobyns for council

We are writing in support of Rick Dobyns, who is running for the District A seat on the City Council in the Nov. 3 election. During his time on the City Council, Rick has consistently shown that he carefully and objectively evaluates all issues, and that he strives to make decisions which benefit the entire city. Rick’s thoughtful and conscientious approach to his work on the City Council serves us all very well. Please join us in voting for Rick Dobyns on Nov. 3.

Michael W. Kennedy

Michelle R. Kennedy