Seeking a just Iowa City

Up Up And Away Photography
Jim Throgmorton hopes to be elected to the Iowa City Council; the election takes place Tuesday, November 3, 2015. (Daily Iowan/Karley Finkel)

By Austin Petroski

City Councilor Jim Throgmorton says he is the most experienced and hardworking candidate running for City Council.

Throgmorton, a professor emeritus of urban and regional planning at the University of Iowa, has been a member of the council since 2012. He also served as a councilor for 26 months in the 1990s.

“I want to build on what is great in Iowa City, and I want to create a just city,” Throgmorton said.

Living in Iowa City since 1986, Throgmorton has been involved in the local political scene for over 20 years. He is running as part of the progressive “Core Four” coalition — along with John Thomas, Pauline Taylor, and Rockne Cole.

Throgmorton said he believes openness and accountability are values he strives to maintain as a council member. He said the need for councilors to better connect with members of the community is imperative.

“We need to get out of City Hall and go to where the people are and where they feel most comfortable,” he said.

In an interview, he said he has spent a lot of time meeting with Iowa City residents and remains involved with numerous local organizations, including the Coalition for Social Justice, the Center for Worker Justice, the Black Voices Project, and the Johnson County Affordable Homes Coalition — to name a few.

Throgmorton also said students are vital to the economic community in Iowa City and that he recognizes the importance of landlord-tenant relations.

He said he believes he understands students better than anyone on the council, but that everyone is eager to be supportive of the group that forms a huge segment of Iowa City’s population.

Throgmorton also said he prioritizes action on climate change.

“Climate change has enormous implications for the quality of life,” Throgmorton said.

He stressed the city should set a goal to reduce carbon emissions and identify the most cost efficient ways of doing so. He also believes the city’s public transit system could use improvement.

Charles Connerly, professor and director of the University of Iowa School of Urban and Regional planning, is a Throgmorton supporter.

“Jim has done a good job of bringing attention to serving all the people of Iowa City, not just those with money,” he said. “We need to continue to build on a good thing,” Connerly said.

Charlie Eastham, a member of the Iowa City Planning and Zoning Commission and another Throgmorton supporter, said the incumbent councilor looks out for the people of Iowa City and listens to everyone’s voice.

“Jim has demonstrated his commitment to responsibly attending to both the tax base of the community, and the obligation born by local government to develop a community that is responsive to the visions of all of its residents,” he said in an email.

Eastham also said Throgmorton looks at every little details, such as reading meeting minutes, and looks at all the information and viewpoints necessary to evaluate proposed zoning and plan changes.

Throgmorton said the Nov. 3 council election will be close and that everyone’s vote will count in the end.