Faculty discusses TIER reports

Several University of Iowa committees will review advice given by the Pappas Consulting Group and Ad Astra at a state Board of Regents meeting last week to see if the recommendations made would work on campus.

The situation was discussed during an update on the regents’ TIER efficiency study at a University of Iowa Faculty Senate meeting on Tuesday.

Lon Moeller, associate provost for undergraduate education, said a committee made up of department heads, students, and faculty will look at the recommendations made in the Ad Astra report.

Two other committees will look at the Pappas reports on e-learning and enrollment management, which includes first year retention and graduation rates of undergraduate students.

Moeller said he believes the regents will let the UI self-implement the recommendations given by both groups like TIER technological recommendations were undertaken by OneIT@Iowa.

Christina Bohannon, the Faculty Senate president, questioned if the committees would make policy recommendations, specifically about recruitment of in-state students.

The Pappas Consulting Group told the regents competition among the 3 regents universities for in-state students was unsustainable last week.

Moeller said the group consulted data from around a year ago and UI recruitment of students has changed dramatically.

Moeller said the regents will look at the reports for around another month before voting on recommending implementations. He said a plan will, generally speaking, be in place by the fall of 2016.

— by Cindy Garcia