Letters to the editor

Tim Conroy for City Council

I wholeheartedly endorse Tim Conroy for an at-large City Council Seat and urge you to thoughtfully consider voting for him as well.

I have watched Tim mediate negotiations in his work for many years. Tim explains his position clearly, succinctly and dispassionately. He spends countless hours working to make both sides of a negotiation satisfied. These skills will make him an effective City Counselor.

Tim is a careful listener and a clear thinker who will spend whatever time it takes researching an issue in order to reach an informed opinion. He is unafraid to ask for assistance or seek alternative opinions. Most importantly, Tim does not come with an agenda. He is concerned with all aspects and programs in City government and will bring a balanced viewpoint to the many issues facing our City.

I encourage you to learn more about Tim at Conroyforcouncil.com, to attend candidate forums, and to speak with Tim yourself. Visit Facebook for daily updates by “liking” Conroy for Council.

Nancy Steyers

Vote Jim Throgmorton

Jim Throgmorton and others do not want, as stated by some, to micromanage the operations of the city. They want the council to do its job and thus enable the city manager to do his job.

Jim understands that the Council-Manager form of government is where the power is concentrated in the elected council and where the council hires a professionally trained manager to oversee the delivery of public service.

He wants the council and citizens to be engaged in a dialogue to develop a shared vision for the city and to suggest various ways that the vision can become reality. 

I support Jim’s vision of a community where all are valued and where their needs are met and their safety ensured.  It would be a community that provides accessible and affordable housing and pays a living wage.

Most of the votes of the City Council are unanimous. A few big ones have been passed 5-2, with the two minority votes often being cast by Kingsley Botchway and Jim Throgmorton.  I am hoping that after this election other councilors will join them to make a new majority. 

I believe Iowa City is the best place to live.  But it can be better.  It can be more responsive to the needs and safety of a growing diverse population.  I hope you will join me in voting for Jim Throgmorton on or before November 3rd.

Bob Welsh

Four great council candidates

Iowa City has an opportunity to elect four great city councilors on Nov. 3.

Pauline Taylor has dedicated herself as a nurse and has received the Life-time Achievement Award from the City Federation of Labor. She especially supports the working classes and poor and disabled in our city.

Jim Throgmorton is an urban planning professor in his second term who provides expertise regarding city planning issues, is very smart, kind, considerate of the environment, supports affordable housing, and is responsive to the public.

John Thomas has worked in urban planning and landscape architecture and has a progressive inclusive-for-all philosophy that embraces a healthy economy and affordability, with concern for parks and schools, and adding quality jobs.

And Rockne Cole, an immigration lawyer, is committed to civil rights issues, safety and desirability of biking and walking conditions, living wage, local farming, protecting the environment, and helping small business.

These experienced, considerate, and   progressive candidates give Iowa City a great opportunity to open up city government for everybody. They will expand city dialogue which has for so long now been narrowed and controlled by the interests of  big real estate and the upper bracket of the chamber of commerce.

If you are an FDR Democrat, if you have any Bernie Sanders leanings, if you want the city to grow in its vision for working people, for all people, please consider these wonderful candidates.

Brandon Rossetters to the