Smiley to read in IC

File+photo
File photo

By Claire Dietz

For Jane Smiley, two things have always been a part of her life: reading and writing. Her writing career has been fruitful, including a Pulitzer Prize for her novel A Thousand Acres.

Smiley will read from The Golden Age at 7 p.m. today in the Iowa City Public Library, 123 S. Linn St, as part of “Live from Prairie Lights.” The Golden Age is the final book in her trilogy covering an Iowa family over the course of generations.

Smiley said her inspiration for The Golden Age includes history, politics, food and agriculture, and climate change. But, more than anything, Smiley is inspired by families and the characters she’s created.

“I realized that the more abstract interests I have, or have had have to be seen through the eyes of the characters,” she said. “[It’s] as if the characters are experiencing these events. I couldn’t go on and on about things I considered true or believe in, I have to have my character’s experience events. That always turns out to be an interesting part. If the characters, and the plots, and the settings weren’t the interesting part, then I would be a historian.”

One unexpected effect of writing the book, Smiley found herself extremely involved in the lives of her characters.

“I enjoyed sensing them developing, moving out into the world, learning things, and changing,” Smiley said. “Since the trilogy goes on for such a long time, then the pleasure went on for quite a long time. I guess the main thing I’ve learned is how to live characters for a long time.”

For Smiley, every novel is “exciting and interesting”.

jane smiley gx

“I’m always excited about a new [novel],” Smiley said. “I’m always happy it got into print, and I’m interested in getting people to read it. I love getting people to talk about it and getting them especially connected to this novel. I’m connected to these characters.”

Smiley was an avid reader all throughout high school, and after visiting England for two weeks and writing her senior paper, she was hooked on writing. She offers her advice to aspiring writers, saying above all to “keep reading” because it teaches you about writing.

“You learn what you need to know about writing by reading,” Smiley said. “Reading good books, reading books that are difficult, but also book that you really, really like. The information about how to create a book becomes a part of your instincts.”

READING

Jane Smiley

When: 7 p.m. today

Where: Iowa City Public Library, 123 S. Linn

Admission: Free