Midterms for Hawk football

Iowa quarterback C.J. Beathard dodges a tackle by Indiana safety Tony Fields in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 11, 2014. Beathard had four carries for 28-yards on the game. Iowa defeated Indiana, 45-29. (The Daily Iowan/Tessa Hursh)

No. 10 Iowa will begin the home stretch of its schedule Saturday against Maryland. The DI’s Pregame staff grades the Hawkeyes so far this By DI Pregame Staff

It’s more than halfway through Iowa’s season, and the Hawkeyes have rung in a 7-0 record (3-0 Big Ten); they are ranked No. 10 in the country and in the driver’s seat in the Big Ten West. Pregame staff members gave head coach Kirk Ferentz’s crew a midterm exam, and the results are below.

Quarterback

Danny Payne, Pregame Editor: Grade: B. Outside of C.J. Beathard’s injury, he’s done a fantastic job at the helm. As Beathard goes, this offense goes.

Ryan Rodriguez, football reporter: Grade: A. This team has at least two losses if not for Beathard this year. Injuries to him and his offensive line have yet to slow him down in a meaningful way.

Charlie Green, football reporter: Grade: B. Beathard has cooled off a bit since the start of the Big Ten schedule, but it’s hard not to like what he’s done with shaky protection.

Jordan Hansen, football reporter: Grade: B+. Beathard’s ability to throw the ball on the run has helped lift Iowa’s offense. When he tucks it, he’s not too shabby, either.

Running back

Payne: Grade A-. If you want to talk about next man in, look no further. Iowa fans are spoiled by this depth.

Rodriguez: Grade A. Jordan Canzeri has been the most pleasant surprise of the season for Iowa, and if LeShun Daniels Jr. gets healthy, the Hawks can only get better.

Green: Grade: A. How can you ask for any more from this group? It’s scary to imagine Iowa if it can get all three healthy in the near future.

Hansen: Grade: A. While injuries have been an issue with this group, it’s hard to ask for more when the third-string running back rushes for more than 200 yards.

Offensive Line

Payne: Grade: B+. I probably don’t give it enough credit, but this group has been awesome after some early speed bumps.

Rodriguez: Grade: C+. A mixed bag because of the injury turnover, but Iowa has major questions at both tackles that have yet to be answered.

Green: Grade: B. It has been incredibly effective at hitting people in the mouth and has been a big reason for the recent emergence of the running game. That said, pass protection is still an issue.

Hansen: Grade: EE. Exceeds expectations. It’s hard to assign a letter grade here, with Iowa’s running and passing blocking living in completely different hemispheres. They’re both better than anyone thought they would be, however.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends

Payne: Grade: B-. This unit hasn’t done a ton (and that’s mostly because of the success on the ground), but when someone’s number has been called, he has stepped up to the plate.

Rodriguez: B-. Tevaun Smith is a legitimate No. 1 when he’s healthy, but after him, it gets a little jumbled.

Green: Grade: C. This group hasn’t been much of a factor. When Smith returns back to full health, that could change.

Hansen: Grade: B+. The stats haven’t been anything to marvel at, but when it’s mattered most this season, catches have been made and the chains have moved.

Defensive Line

Payne: Grade: A. The first word that comes to mind when thinking about this group is sterling. Even without Drew Ott, this group has been outstanding.

Rodriguez: Grade: A+. Iowa’s defensive line has been its most impressive unit as a whole this year, and that’s without its best player in Ott.

Green: Grade: B+. Tackles Nathan Bazata and Jaleel Johnson have been impressive on the inside. Overall, a more consistent pass rush is an area in which this group can get better, and without Ott, that will be a challenge.

Hansen: Grade: B+. Iowa has a bit of depth at the position, which could go a long way as the season drags on. Ott being out only makes this more critical.

Linebackers

Payne: Grade: A. Especially recently, Iowa’s linebackers have been fantastic. Linebacker coach Jim Reid deserves much more credit than he gets.

Rodriguez: Grade: B. Much better at stopping the run to the outside, which was a major problem last year. Pass coverage over the middle leaves a bit to be desired, but overall, a vastly improved group.

Green: Grade: A. Iowa’s backers are diagnosing and reacting to plays a lot quicker than last season.

Hansen: Grade: B+. Josey Jewell might be the most improved player on a defense that is playing some of the best ball in the nation. The Hawks also hit pretty hard.

Defensive Backs

Payne: Grade: B. Desmond King has been Iowa’s overall best player, and Jordan Lomax and Miles Taylor have been solid, too. If I was an Iowa fan, I’d be concerned about the thought of Greg Mabin against an elite quarterback, however.

Rodriguez: Grade: C+. Iowa’s secondary has yet to face an elite passer, and outside of interception machine in King, has looked overmatched at times.

Green: Grade: B. The talent level is A, but too often receivers have gotten separation. Combined with the rush, pass defense is the unit’s most concerning area.

Hansen: Grade: B-. Opposing quarterbacks have been able to exploit the holes in Iowa’s passing defense, and it’s kept some teams in the game. King and Jordan Lomax put out a lot of fires and keep the unit together.

Special Teams

Payne: Grade: B. Coverage on kickoffs and punts has been awesome, and Dillon Kidd has been good, too. Marshall Koehn’s consistency is the only reason Iowa isn’t getting an A here.

Rodriguez: Grade: A-. Do we count kick and punt returns too? Because King.

Green: Grade: B. Aside from Koehn’s struggles, this group has been solid all around.

Hansen: Grade: A-. Outside of several missed PATs, this unit has been nearly flawless. Punter Dillon Kidd is light-years better than a year ago, while having King as a return has paid dividends.