Swedish import fits Iowa tennis

Players take a break during practice on Tuesday, Oct. 20 at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The women’s tennis team has four freshmen on the team this season. (The Daily Iowan/Rachael Westergard)

Freshman Carin Runefelt has found a second home in Iowa City.

By Mason Clarke

From the beginning of Carin Runefelt’s college recruitment, Iowa head coach Katie Dougherty wanted the Swedish prospect on her team.

“I watched [Carin] play a set, and I was sold,” Dougherty said.

Runefelt made a name for herself in Sweden, finishing as either champion or runner-up in several regional and national competitions by the time she turned 18.

After a few connections were made, Dougherty traveled to Sweden to see Runefelt play, and the two formed a relationship that brought her to Iowa.

Iowa City may seem like an odd place for a Swedish tennis player to land, but Runefelt believes she is right where she should be.

“I’ve always wanted to go to college in the United States,” she said. “When I met Coach, and talked to her, and got to know more about the school, I just knew it was right.”

Dougherty saw professionalism, maturity, and hard work in Runefelt.

Dougherty saw these traits and more from Runefelt, who the coach describes as a “spark plug” (Runefelt stands 5-2).

Although Runefelt is the shortest player on the team, earning her the nickname “Little C,” Dougherty pointed out that Runefelt plays like she is at least 5-7; her presence is always apparent on the court.

Runefelt has played only once so far this fall, but she has had an effect on her teammates.

“She’s got a lot of positive energy … she is well-liked on the team,” Dougherty said. “She has a big personality, too. That came out in our first team-bonding activity.”

Far from her hometown, Runefelt, although without her family and old friends, has enjoyed her time thus far.

“Everyone’s really good, and I love it,” she said. “Having a team is the best. Everyone is really supportive of each other, and it’s just fun. Even practices are fun.”

After joking about being forced into becoming a fan of everything Iowa, Runefelt admitted she is a super-fan of the Hawkeyes.

Apart from her new team and school, she has had to adjust to life in Iowa.

She misses her family, but the other primary thing she misses about Sweden may hurt the ego of quite a few Iowans.

“The food,” Runefelt said. “It’s too much [here]. It’s different. I just want my mom’s cooking.”

In addition to a place with new food, Runefelt came to the epitome of crazy weather. Contrary to the food situation, though, she prefers the new weather, despite the recent thunderstorms.

“This is nice,” she said. “Sweden is just gray and dark.”

She hasn’t experienced an Iowa winter, but she says she is prepared. After all, Sweden is much farther north than Iowa.

Assuming the winter weather does not drive her away, Runefelt is part of the future for the Iowa women’s tennis team. Dougherty said this is a good sign.

“Her athleticism, her professionalism … are unbelievable,” said Dougherty. “All in all, she’s a great addition.”