Property facilities committee meets

Cora Bern-Klug

The Properties Facility Committee of the state Board of Regents met Wednesday afternoon for a discussion of topics that the regents will look at today.

The committee addressed issues ranging from renovation among the three universities to the razing of three buildings on the UI campus.

At the UI, officials mulled major agenda items such as the razing of three buildings, the AIB gift, and Daum Residence Hall renovations.

One building to be razed is the Women’s Resource & Action Center house on North Madison Street. A newer space will be provided for it on Clinton Street.

The committee also recommended the gift of AIB College of Business to the University of Iowa, estimated to be worth $21.55 million and 17 acres. Environmental assessments have been completed that ask for $3,000 in funds.

Renovations at Daum are predicted to cost $3.8 million and will finish furnishings. The topic was recommended to the full board.

In addition, the committee recommended a $5.75 million budget for tunnel work on the Currier steam tunnel on the far North Side.

Last, $5.3 million was recommended for work on the water plant on Burlington Street, which would work to advance osmosis treatment to combat the increasing nitrate levels.

— by Tom Ackerman