Men’s harriers ride roller coaster

Brooklynn Kascel
Junior Kevin Docherty keeps his place in the front of the pack next to unattached Freshman Bailey Hesse-Withbroe during the men’s 6k race on Friday, Sep. 4, 2015 at the Ashton Cross Country Course in Iowa City, Iowa. (The Daily Iowan/Brooklynn Kascel)

The Hawkeyes have been through a mixture so far.

by Adam Hensley

The Iowa men’s cross-country team has had a roller-coaster of a regular season. In the teams four meets this season, it has finished as high as second but also dead last.

Throughout the season, head coach Layne Anderson had struggled to get the Hawkeyes to perform at the level they practiced at during the week. The team’s youth is at least partially to blame, but entering the final stretch of the season, the coaches want more.

“Probably the biggest surprise was that up until Friday, we hadn’t been able to put [our talent] on display in a race setting,” Anderson said.

The season-opener in Iowa City was a measuring stick for the team. The 13 true freshmen on the team ran unattached and stole the show.

Ian Eklin finished third overall for the Hawkeyes. He, along with fellow freshmen Bailey Hesse-Withbroe and Daniel Soto, finished in the top 20.

Iowa placed fourth among four teams that meet. The Hawkeyes looked for redemption against Illinois State, which placed second. They got one more shot.

At the Illinois State Invitational, Iowa finished second, behind only Illinois State. Anthony Gregorio and Ben Anderson placed ninth and 10th for the Hawkeyes. Iowa’s pack running was strong, with all seven runners placing in the top 30.

What happened next at Notre Dame was something of a letdown.

With a successful meet under their belts, the Hawkeyes went to South Bend to face their toughest competition to date. Iowa did not get off to a good start, fell behind early, and finished 20th among 20 teams.

“In an 8K, you got to put yourself with the leaders through 5K, otherwise you have no chance,” sophomore Michael Melchert said.

Iowa executed the scheme of pack running in route to a third-place finish at the Bradley Pink Classic. Their top three runners, Melchert, Gregorio, and Ben Anderson, ran personal bests in the 8,000 meters.

“In terms of leading, we just go out there and execute,” Ben Anderson said. “I think we show by our performance that we are leaders, and I think just getting out in front in the race is key. Lead by example is the biggest thing to do in terms of running.”

In Peoria, the Hawkeyes ran up to hopes for the first time this season. Whether Iowa can keep up with expectations, only time will tell.

However, the potential is there, Layne Anderson said.

“We are seeing not only the transformation in their bodies but the transformation in their minds of what they’re beginning to believe they can accomplish,” he said.