Councilor Payne asked to resign

Picasa 2.7

By Austin Petroski

Community members confronted a city councilor over allegedly racist remarks.

Melyssa Kelly, a local activist, was the first Iowa City resident to speak on comments City Councilor Michelle Payne made during a Sept. 30 City Council candidate forum at Kirkwood Community College.

She urged Payne to resign.

“This is extremely shocking behavior,” Kelly said. “We don’t need racist leadership in Iowa City.”

Payne, who represents District A, used the term “colored people” while answering a question about what the causes of racial disparity in Iowa City policies were, and what, besides training, could be done to ensure city staff members do not act with racial bias.

“Maybe if you were white and had some black friends, you’d get more insight into how colored people,” Payne said at the forum. “I shouldn’t say it that way; how black people think about our community leaders.”

MUG-michelle Payne

Payne issued a public apology last week. Payne did not speak in response to comments made by community members at the meeting.

“In making a point about racial disparity, I misspoke in a way that was contrary to the very point I was trying to make regarding open and honest conversations about the very things that divide us, but should not,” she said in a statement.

Kelly also said many members of the African-American community in Iowa City are fed up with the racism in the community.

“This is 2015. We’re going back to the 1930s by using the term ‘colored people,’ ” she said.

Kelly was also not the only community member upset with Payne’s derogatory comments during the forum.

Joni Measton, also a citizen of Iowa City, expressed her lack of favor with city councilors.

“We’re very disconnected as a council to our community,” she said. “I would invite you to get more connected to your community.”

Measton said city councilors should ride the bus along with members of the community as a way to better connect.

Later in the meeting, councilors voted unanimously to approve first consideration of an amendment to increase the fine for parking in snow-emergency zones during a snow emergency.

The current fee is $15, with the vote raising the fine to $50. The raise in the fine price is intended to encourage people to move their cars.

The City Council also voted unanimously to approve an action to grant $600,000 to develop mixed income senior housing in the Towncrest area.

The apartment complex will consist of a 41 unit residential apartment for seniors, and 36 of the units will be affordable to households under 60 percent of the median income for the Iowa City area.

City Manager Tom Markus said the new development would benefit the elderly community in Iowa City.

“This should be an ideal location for senior housing,” he said.