UI agrees to settlements of $85,000

State bodies have executed two settlements following University of Iowa employee grievances.

Total lump sums payments to the individuals will total $85,000 less federal and state taxes as well as tax through the Federal Insurance Contributions Act, according to documents publicized by the state Board of Regents on Oct. 16.

In the first settlement, the regents, the state, and the UI and the American Federation of State, Council, and Municipal Employees union entered into an agreement to resolve grievances filed on behalf of Julie Van Dyke. The grievances alleged violations of collective-bargaining agreements.

According to the documents, Van Dyke received a five-day suspension and was later discharged for violating UI policies and work rules.

Under the settlement, Van Dyke’s suspension will be reduced to three days. She will also be reinstated to employment on Nov. 2 as a secretary in the UI Department of Risk Management, Insurance, and Loss Prevention. Her seniority date will be May 1, 2000.

The UI will also restore Van Dyke’s sick-leave accruals as of Jan. 23, 2014, and provide vacation and sick leave accruals at the appropriate rate from Jan. 23, 2014 to Nov. 2, 2015.

Van Dyke will receive a lump sum of $75,000. As a result of the settlement, AFSCME will withdraw grievances.

In the second settlement, the regents, the state, the UI, and AFSCME agreed to resolve grievances filed on behalf of Philip Chopske.

According to the documents, Chopske was discharged for violating UI policies.

Under the agreement, the UI will change the discharge to a resignation effect June 26, 2014. The settlement will serve as his notice of resignation.

Under the agreement, the UI agreed to allow Chopske to attend UI classes and graduate if he meets requirements.

Chopske agreed to not participate in any clinical rotation or other on-site trainings in the Pathology Department. Chopske also agreed to never apply for or accept UI employment.